*Upwork's basic plan is free to use, so employers only pay freelancers the confirmed fee, plus the standard 3% for admin and payment processing.
**The Plus Plan includes premium customer support, team reporting, 15 invites to freelancers instead of 3.
Upwork is an online marketplace that matches employers with quality freelancers from across the globe. Over 30% of Fortune 500 companies have used Upwork to connect with talented, independent professionals.
Over 174K Canadian clients have used Upwork to find quality freelancers in a range of disciplines, including design & creative, marketing, and software development. Canadian employers give freelancers hired through Upwork an overall rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars, making this a great platform to hire talent.
- Upwork is a trusted marketplace used by 5M+ brands including Airbnb, Dropbox, Microsoft, Samsung, and more to find quality freelancers.
- There are more than 18M registered freelancers to choose from.
- Upwork boasts over 5M registered clients who find freelancers using the site.
- Employers can post projects at no cost or choose from paid options.
- You can connect with a remote workforce representing 180 countries.
- There are millions of projects posted with over 5,000 skills represented across more than 70 categories.
- AI-matching technology instantly generates a freelancer shortlist based on your project requirements.
- Employers have access to freelancer profiles and can see their ratings.
- You can receive invoices through Upwork's platform to easily pay for the work you've authorized.
- Project postings include social media visibility on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Enterprise plans include access to the top 1% of Upwork talent, flexible scaling, and savings of between 30% and 50% compared to traditional staffing methods.
- Upwork is more affordable than competitors such as Remote OK and Toptal.
- The basic plan excludes advanced candidate management tools.
- Some freelancers might be deterred by having to pay a fee based on their earnings.
- There is no option to search for projects by employer, which can make it difficult for freelancers to find you.
- Employers and freelancers located or traveling in the following restricted areas are not allowed to register Upwork accounts: Iran, North Korea, Syria, Crimea (region of Ukraine), Cuba (or individual nationals of Cuba), as well as any other region restricted by law.
- Individuals or entities on the Specially Designated Nationals (SDN) are not permitted to use the platform.
- There are a limited number of plans available.
- The platform can be tricky to navigate.
- There are no French or multilingual site options, which may limit the number of freelancers who sign up.
- There is no local contact number.
Around 140+ complaints were logged about Upwork on Better Business Bureau, but most issues were addressed by Upwork. On Sitejabber, 2.4K+ users gave Upwork a positive 4.3 out of 5 stars. On Trustpilot, Upwork received 4.5 stars based on the reviews of over 5.8K users.
How to Post a Project on Upwork:
Five easy steps for posting a project on Upwork.
Post a project on Upwork.
Click "Find Talent."
You'll find this green button on the left-hand side towards the center of the home page.
A pop-up window will appear. To log in with your Google credentials, click "Continue with Google."
Alternatively, enter your work email address, and first and last name, followed by a password of your choice. From the drop-down list, select your country. Lastly, check the box to agree to the terms and conditions, then click "Create my Account."
Select "Post a Job."
From the dashboard, click the green "Post a Job" button in the top-right of the page.
Select your job posting type.
Check the applicable boxes to select the type of job post you'll be creating.
To make a new job posting, check the "Create a new job post" option, then select either the "Short-term or part-time work" or "Designated, longer term work" option.
Alternatively, click "Edit an existing draft" to make changes to a post you've already created.
Click "Continue" to proceed to the next window.
Complete your job posting.
Starting with the title, complete all the required sections of your job posting. Click "Next" each time you are ready to proceed to the following section.
Choose an eye-catching, descriptive title for you job posting, then select a category, and click "Next."
Craft a job description that outlines the duties of the job and also highlights the qualifications and skills required. Click "Next" when you are done.
Provide additional details pertaining to the role. Add screening questions or request a cover letter, then click "Next."
Select the skills and expertise that are important to the job. Click on the applicable options from the different categories to add them to your list. Choose the level of experience required for the role, then click "Next."
In the "Visibility" section, choose who should be able to view your job post and select the number of hires for the role. If applicable, add the required qualifications. Click "Next."
In the "Budget" section, add any information related to remuneration, then click "Next."
Review and post your job.
Read through your job post to make sure all the details are correct. When you are ready, click "Post Job Now."
To make changes, click on the grey pen icon on the far-right of each section. Click "Update" to save your changes.
Upwork vs. Remote OK:
Both Upwork and Remote OK have a global reach, but Upwork provides access to a talent pool with 18M users, while Remote OK's talent pool is just over 1M. Remote OK has no free plans and projects start at US$449.00. Upwork seems the better choice, offering free postings, reasonably priced paid plans, and an enterprise plan for advanced business needs.
Upwork vs. Toptal:
While Upwork connects global employers and freelancers across many industries, Toptal is a marketplace for the top 3% of freelance developers and coders. Upwork offers a free basic plan and paid options starting at US$49.99, whereas Toptal costs start with a deposit of US$500.00 that serves as a credit on project-hour hiring invoices.
Upwork vs. AngelList:
Compared to Upwork, AngelList is a much smaller job board used by about 43K tech startups. For employers in the tech world, AngelList is a good choice, as it offers unlimited free job postings, a database with 3M+ job seekers, ATS, and free brand promotion pages. Try both platforms risk-free if you're still undecided.
What is Upwork?
Upwork is a leading marketplace where employers can connect with a pool of independent freelancers from around the world.
What does it cost to post a project on Upwork?
Upwork's pricing options include a free basic plan and paid packages.
How can I edit a project on Upwork?
From your Upwork dashboard, click on the "My Jobs" tab and select the project you would like to edit under "Open Jobs." Click on "Edit Posting" in the "Actions" menu and make your changes.
Is Upwork better than Fiverr?
Both Upwork and Fiverr offer platforms that connect employers with talented global freelancers. Upwork has both free and paid pricing plans, while Fiverr offers customized service packages. Both charge freelancers a fee based on their earnings.
What kind of projects are on Upwork?
There are a wide variety of projects on Upwork, including ones in design, video and audio, development and IT, marketing, writing and translation, admin and customer support, HR, and more.
Is Upwork worthwhile in 2021?
Yes. The Covid-19 pandemic has seen a rise in the demand for remote work and Upwork helps employers fill vacancies with professional staff from across the globe.