*Upwork's basic plan is free to use, so employers only pay freelancers the confirmed fee, plus the standard 3% for admin and payment processing.
**The Plus Plan includes premium customer support, team reporting, 15 invites to freelancers instead of 3.
Upwork is a marketplace and network where freelancers can connect with clients and employers offering remote work. The platform has helped over 30% of Fortune 500 companies find top-quality, independent professionals.
More than 203K British clients have used Upwork to source high-quality professionals for various projects in marketing, web development, engineering and architecture, IT & networking, translation, and more. Projects can be searched by skills, city, or region, making it easier for job seekers to find viable opportunities.
- Upwork is a trusted marketplace used by brands such as Airbnb, Dropbox, Microsoft, Samsung, and more to find quality freelancers.
- Employers can connect with more than 18M registered freelancers.
- Over 5M registered clients find freelancers using the site.
- Employers can post projects at no cost or choose from paid options.
- You can connect with a remote workforce representing 180 countries.
- Millions of projects are posted to the platform with over 5,000 skills represented across more than 70 categories.
- AI-matching technology instantly generates a freelancer shortlist based on your project requirements.
- Employers have access to individual freelancer's profiles and can see their ratings.
- You can receive invoices through Upwork's platform to easily pay for the work you've authorized.
- Projects include social media visibility on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Upwork is more affordable than remote job boards such as SkipTheDrive, and local job boards such as CV-Library.
- The basic plan excludes advanced candidate management tools.
- Some freelancers might be deterred by having to pay a fee based on their earnings.
- There is no option to search for projects by employer, which can make it difficult for freelancers to find you.
- Pricing is not available in pound sterling.
- There are no multilingual site options, which may deter freelancers from other parts of Europe from registering on the site.
- There is no local contact number.
Approximately 140 complaints were logged against Upwork on Better Business Bureau, with most issues being resolved by Upwork. On Sitejabber, 2.4K+ users made positive comments about Upwork, awarding them 4.3 out of 5 stars. On Trustpilot, Upwork received a 4.5-star rating based on the reviews of about 5.8K users.
How to Post a Project on Upwork:
Five easy steps for posting a project on Upwork.
Post a Project on Upwork.
Click "Find Talent."
You'll find this green button on the left-hand side towards the center of the home page.
A pop-up window will appear. To log in with your Google credentials, click "Continue with Google."
Alternatively, enter your work email address, and first and last name, followed by a password of your choice. From the drop-down list, select your country. Lastly, check the box to agree to the terms and conditions, then click "Create my Account."
Select "Post a Job."
From the dashboard, click the green "Post a Job" button in the top-right of the page.
Select your job posting type.
Check the applicable boxes to select the type of job post you'll be creating.
To make a new job posting, check the "Create a new job post" option, then select either the "Short-term or part-time work" or "Designated, longer term work" option.
Alternatively, click "Edit an existing draft" to make changes to a post you've already created.
Click "Continue" to proceed to the next window.
Complete your job posting.
Starting with the title, complete all the required sections of your job posting. Click "Next" each time you are ready to proceed to the following section.
Choose an eye-catching, descriptive title for you job posting, then select a category, and click "Next."
Craft a job description that outlines the duties of the job and also highlights the qualifications and skills required. Click "Next" when you are done.
Provide additional details pertaining to the role. Add screening questions or request a cover letter, then click "Next."
Select the skills and expertise that are important to the job. Click on the applicable options from the different categories to add them to your list. Choose the level of experience required for the role, then click "Next."
In the "Visibility" section, choose who should be able to view your job post and select the number of hires for the role. If applicable, add the required qualifications. Click "Next."
In the "Budget" section, add any information related to remuneration, then click "Next."
Review and post your job.
Read through your job post to make sure all the details are correct. When you are ready, click "Post Job Now."
To make changes, click on the grey pen icon on the far-right of each section. Click "Update" to save your changes.
Upwork vs. PeoplePerHour:
Both Upwork and PeoplePerHour match clients with freelancers. Upwork offers a free plan, with paid options from US$49.99, while PeoplePerHour is free. Upwork freelancers pay an earnings-based fee, while PeoplePerHour freelancers can submit 15 free proposals before they are charged. Unlike Upwork, most of PeoplePerHour's traffic comes from the U.K.
Upwork vs. SkipTheDrive:
Upwork is a talent marketplace, while SkipTheDrive is a job board for remote work. At US$79.00 per posting, SkipTheDrive is more costly, offers fewer features than Upwork, and is searchable by keywords as opposed to location and project type, making it trickier for local talent to find your job. However, SkipTheDrive is better for finding remote workers further afield.
Upwork vs. CV-Library:
For employers looking to hire local freelancing talent, CV-Library may be the better option than Upwork. With a database of 16.2M candidates from the U.K., employers are more likely to find freelancers within their timezone on CV-Library than Upwork. However, CV-Library is more costly than Upwork, and offers no free plan.
What is Upwork?
Upwork is a leading marketplace where employers can connect with a pool of independent freelancers from around the world.
What does it cost to post a project on Upwork?
Upwork's pricing options include a free Basic plan and paid packages.
How can I edit a project on Upwork?
- Click on the "My Jobs" tab from the Upwork dashboard.
- Select the project you would like to edit under "Open Jobs."
- Click on "Edit Posting" in the "Actions" menu.
- Make your changes.
Is Upwork better than Fiverr?
Both Upwork and Fiverr offer platforms that connect employers with talented global freelancers. Upwork has both free and paid pricing plans, while Fiverr offers customized service packages. Both charge freelancers a fee based on their earnings.
Is Upwork dying?
Upwork members have expressed concern over this, with many citing issues such as fake job postings, poor project quality, and lack of client responses as some of the problems they've encountered when searching for work. That said, if you obey Upwork's terms of service, you should be able to avoid most scams and use the platform safely.
What kind of projects are on Upwork?
There are a number of projects in various categories on Upwork, including ones in design, video and audio, development and IT, marketing, writing and translation, admin and customer support, HR, and more.