Free to post.*
From US$49.00 /professional /mo.**
Contact for quote.
*Employers are charged a 5% client marketplace fee on all payments made to freelancers as well as a US$4.95 one-time contract initiation fee per contracted freelancer.
**A 3% payment processing fee is added to each payment.
Upwork is an excellent freelance marketplace that allows employers to connect with freelancers who can complete remote projects. Over 30% of Fortune 500 companies have relied on Upwork to find creatives such as designers, writers, and developers.
More than 170,000 Australian employers have hired freelancers in the fields of customer service, admin support, accounting, engineering, and more using Upwork. The top job categories include web, mobile, software development, sales, and marketing. Upwork has a rating of 4.9 out of 5 from Australian users.
- Brands such as Airbnb, Dropbox, Microsoft, Samsung, and more use Upwork to find quality freelancers.
- Employers can post projects at no cost or choose from paid options, depending on their hiring needs.
- Millions of projects are posted on the platform with over 5,000 skills represented across more than 70 categories.
- AI-matching technology instantly generates a freelancer shortlist based on your project requirements.
- Employers can connect with a remote workforce representing 180 countries.
- You can receive invoices through Upwork's platform to easily pay for the work you've authorized.
- Projects include social media visibility on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Employers have access to individual freelancers' profiles and can see their ratings.
- The basic plan excludes advanced candidate management tools.
- Some freelancers might be deterred by having to pay a fee based on their earnings.
- There are no multilingual site options, which may limit certain candidates from using the site.
- Individuals or entities on the Specially Designated Nationals (SDN) are not permitted to use the platform.
- Pricing is not available in Australian dollars.
- There is no local office or contact number.
- All payments to freelancers are made in U.S. dollars.
Although more than 140 complaints were logged against Upwork on Better Business Bureau, most queries received attention from them.
Upwork vs. SEEK:
SEEK receives much more traffic from Australia than Upwork does, and offers more comprehensive features, but it is also one of the more costly job boards in Australia. If you require access to a resume database, additional resources, and would like to connect directly with job seekers via personalized messages, opt for SEEK.
Upwork vs. Gumtree Jobs:
Gumtree Jobs and Upwork both offer free and paid options, but Gumtree Jobs offers plans with more features, additional job categories, branding solutions, and an ATS. If you're exclusively targeting Australian freelancers, Gumtree Jobs is probably the better option, but keep in mind that the pool of freelancers may be smaller if you advertise with Gumtree Jobs.
Upwork vs. Careerjet:
Careerjet is used by job seekers from across the world and is a more user-friendly platform as it offers 28 languages. Careerjet is also a job aggregator that adds jobs from more than 90 countries to its database, a feature Upwork lacks. However, unlike Upwork, Careerjet does not exclusively target freelancers and job posts start at A$130.00.