Comox Valley, BC
Fraser Valley, BC
Whistler / Squamish, BC
Craigslist is a popular classifieds website. Although it receives most of its traffic from the U.S., it has a strong presence in Canada and is the second most trafficked classifieds portal in the country. The platform features city and region-specific sites and is available in French.
Despite many negative reviews reporting suspicious user activity, the site remains one of the most popular online classifieds portals in Canada and the U.S. On the downside, Craigslist limits free postings by region and is not ideal for posting executive-level jobs, which makes local alternatives like Job Bank, which is 100% free, a better choice.
- The platform is easy to use.
- The site is available in multiple languages, including French.
- The platform offers competitive pricing and free job postings in some regions.
- Users can target audiences by location through area-specific sites, which is a feature local competitors like Job Bank don't offer.
- It is free to search resumes.
- Craigslist is not suited for posting executive-level jobs.
- There is no local office in Canada nor are there localized customer support options mentioned on the website.
- The site limits free basic job postings to specific regions in Canada, unlike its local competitor Kijiji.
- In reviews, some Canadian users reported legitimate posts being removed from the site while others complained of dubious user activity.
Craigslist is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau and has been given an F rating. Most of the reviews on the BBB website are negative, giving it an average customer rating of 1.16 out of five stars. Themes dominating the negative reviews include complaints about suspicious user activity and dissatisfaction with customer support.
These negative points are echoed by reviewers on Trustpilot and Sitejabber, where Craigslist has a rating of 1.4 and 3.5 out of 5 stars, respectively. While Quora users also report coming across nonserious and suspicious user activity on Craigslist, the site is still regarded as a popular and easy-to-use platform for local classifieds.
Craigslist Job Posting and Recruiting Tips:
- Use a specific job title.
- Prominently state your company name.
- Check your spelling and grammar.
- Clearly state the job skills, duties, and requirements.
- Don't use vague or generic wording.
- Remove non-essential responsibilities and qualifications.
- Send all candidates a set of screening questions.
- Check communication skills by having them answer questions via voicemail.
Craigslist Sites for Major Cities in Canada:
How to Post a Job on Craigslist:
Six easy steps for posting a job on Craigslist.
Posting a Job on Craigslist.
Go to Craigslist.org.
Navigate to the Craigslist home page.
Select a city.
Choose the city and province you want to target with your job post.
Click on "create a posting."
The "create a posting" button is in the top-left corner of the page.
Choose a posting type.
Choose one of the job posting options and click on "continue."
Choose a job category.
Select one or more categories for your job post.
Fill in your job details.
Add information such as the job title, description, compensation, and more.
Once you've created your job post, review it, click "publish," check for a verification email, and confirm. You will need to log in to your Craigslist account or create one in order to pay and confirm your job post.
How to Find Employees on Craigslist:
- Navigate to the Craigslist home page and click on the "jobs" section.
- On the next page, change the search filter from "jobs" to "CVs" or "services" to view posts by job seekers.
How to Search Resumes for Free on Craigslist:
- Navigate to craigslist.org.
- Select your city.
- At the bottom of the page, click "resumes."
- On the next page, you will be able to browse all the listed resumes in your city.
- If you want to search within resumes, enter a few keywords or a job title in the search bar.
- Select your preferred availability and education level on the left (optional).
- Click "enter."
Craigslist vs. Kijiji:
Unlike Craigslist, Kijiji does not limit free basic job postings to specific regions in Canada. Kijiji gives users the option to increase visibility with a paid subscription. While both are popular classified advertisement portals in Canada, Kijiji attracts more local traffic, being the most visited classifieds website in Canada.
Craigslist vs. Indeed:
While Craigslist does not offer free postings in some areas in Canada, Indeed has no such limitation. Craigslist might be a convenient option for filling local and freelance jobs, but it has gained a reputation for attracting nonserious users. Therefore, Indeed is the better option for recruiting qualified professionals.
Craigslist vs. Job Bank:
While Craigslist is an online local classifieds website, Job Bank is the Canadian government's official job site. Unlike Craigslist, it's free to post a job on Job Bank and will likely yield a better selection of serious candidates, particularly for professional and senior job openings.
What is the difference between paid and free Craigslist job posts?
Paying for a Craigslist job post allows you to access features, including HTML formatting options, that can make your post look a bit nicer.
How much does it cost to post a job on Craigslist in Canada?
The cost to post a job on the Canadian Craigslist website ranges from C$10.00 to C$35.00 per job.
Can you post jobs for free on Craigslist?
Yes, you can post jobs for free, except in certain regions.
How does the Craigslist job posting fee work?
Craigslist charges between C$10.00 and C$35.00 per job posting in Canada, depending on the city you want to post in. Unlike many other job posting services, there is no pay-per-click fee and no way to place your posts above others by paying extra.
What does the cost to post on Craigslist include?
The cost covers your basic post. Unlike job boards such as Indeed, you don't get access to applicant tracking, data about your posts, or cross-posting to any other websites.
Is the Craigslist cost to post worth it?
How many Craigslist posts can you make?
The general rule, according to Craigslist, is that you can post to one category in each city every 48 hours. Your ads may also be blocked if you post two ads that are very similar in the same geographic area even after 48 hours have passed. Removing similar ads should allow you to post a new one.
How long does a Craigslist job posting last?
Paid Craigslist job postings last for 30 days. A free job posting on Craigslist lasts between 7 and 45 days, depending on your location.
Does Craigslist's charge for job postings include tax?
At this time there does not appear to be a tax on these types of online services in Canada.
How do you post a job on Craigslist if your jobs get ghosted?
"Ghosted" refers to Craigslist allowing it to seem like your post has gone live, while not actually posting it because it is suspected of being spam. If this happens, review what you're posting and make sure you are providing a clear, grammatically correct description of a real job.
Do you know how to post a job opening on Craigslist in other countries?
This is quite easy. Just go to craigslist.org/about/sites and look for the country, and then the city you want to post in and go through your normal process of posting a job on Craigslist.
How do I post a job on Craigslist for executive-level jobs?
This is uncommon, Craigslist is mostly used to post blue-collar jobs. You might want to consider posting elsewhere first. That said, the key would be convincing potential applicants that the job is real, and not too good to be true. Include as much detail as possible and triple-check your grammar.
Is Craigslist free to post jobs in any major English speaking cities?
Yes, major English speaking cities in Canada, including Calgary, are still available for Craigslist free job postings.
Can I search resumes for free on Craigslist?
Yes, you can search resumes for free.