Pricing for job postings on Craigslist varies by location. In some areas, it is completely free, while in others pricing ranges from C$10.00 to C$35.00 per job post. For a complete list of pricing by area, see the download below.
Craigslist is a popular classifieds website. Although it receives most of its traffic from the U.S., it has a strong presence in Canada and is the second most trafficked classifieds portal in the country. The platform features city and region-specific sites and is available in French.
Despite many negative reviews reporting suspicious user activity, the site remains one of the most popular online classifieds portals in Canada and the U.S. On the downside, Craigslist limits free postings by region and is not ideal for posting executive-level jobs, which makes local alternatives like Job Bank, which is 100% free, a better choice.
- The platform is easy to use.
- The site is available in multiple languages, including French.
- The platform offers competitive pricing and free job postings in some regions.
- Users can target audiences by location through area-specific sites, which is a feature local competitors like Job Bank don't offer.
- It is free to search resumes.
- Craigslist is not suited for posting executive-level jobs.
- There is no local office in Canada nor are there localized customer support options mentioned on the website.
- The site limits free basic job postings to specific regions in Canada, unlike its local competitor Kijiji Jobs.
- In reviews, some Canadian users reported legitimate posts being removed from the site while others complained of dubious user activity.
Craigslist is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau and has been given an F rating. Most of the reviews on the BBB website are negative, giving it an average customer rating of 1.14 out of five stars. Themes dominating the negative reviews include complaints about suspicious user activity and dissatisfaction with customer support.
These negative points are echoed by reviewers on Trustpilot and Sitejabber, where Craigslist has a rating of 1.3 and 3.34 out of 5 stars, respectively. While Quora users also report coming across nonserious and suspicious user activity on Craigslist, the site is still regarded as a popular and easy-to-use platform for local classifieds.
Craigslist Sites for Major Cities in Canada:
How to Post a Job on Craigslist:
- Navigate to the Craigslist home page and select the city you want to target with your job post.
- Click on the "Post" button at the top of the page.
- Select "job offered" and click continue. Then select the industry/category for your job post and click "continue."
- Fill in your job posting details and click "continue."
- Upload images for your job post, and then proof and publish your draft.
How to Search Resumes for Free on Craigslist:
- Navigate to craigslist.org.
- Select your city.
- At the bottom of the page, click on "resumes."
- On the next page, you will be able to browse all the listed resumes in your city.
- If you want to search within resumes, enter a few keywords or a job title in the search bar.
- Select your preferred availability and education level on the left (optional).
- Click on "enter."
Craigslist vs. Kijiji Jobs:
Unlike Craigslist, Kijiji Jobs does not limit free basic job postings to specific regions in Canada. Kijiji Jobs gives users the option to increase visibility with a paid subscription. While both are popular classified advertisement portals in Canada, Kijiji Jobs attracts more local traffic, being the most visited classifieds website in Canada.
Craigslist vs. Indeed:
While Craigslist does not offer free postings in some areas in Canada, Indeed has no such limitation. Craigslist might be a convenient option for filling local and freelance jobs, but it has gained a reputation for attracting nonserious users. Therefore, Indeed is the better option for recruiting qualified professionals.
Craigslist vs. Job Bank:
While Craigslist is an online local classifieds website, Job Bank is the Canadian government's official job site. Unlike Craigslist, it's free to post a job on Job Bank and will likely yield a better selection of serious candidates, particularly for professional and senior job openings.