It is free to post a job on Craigslist U.K.
Craigslist is a U.S.-based classified advertising platform that also caters to the U.K. It features city and region-specific pages. Unlike in the U.S., where only paid posts are offered, employers in the U.K. can post free local job ads.
Reviews from U.K. users reflect similar views as most global reviews, being mixed and citing both positive and negative experiences with the platform, although there are generally more of the latter. While it's a great, free option for local recruiting, it is not suited for posting executive-level jobs.
- The platform is easy to use.
- Employers in the U.K. can post jobs for free.
- Craigslist features area-specific pages allowing users to target audiences by location, which most other local employment portals, such as Find a Job, do not.
- It is free to search resumes.
- The site is great for posting blue-collar jobs.
- The platform is not as popular in the U.K. as its competitor, Gumtree.
- There does not appear to be any local offices or local customer support channels.
- The site is not suited for posting executive-level jobs. For this, employers are better off with dedicated local employment sites like Find a Job.
Customer reviews on Trustpilot, where the platform has a rating of 1.4 out of 5 stars, are overwhelmingly negative, with the most common grievances including a lack of customer support when it comes to flagged and removed posts, as well as spammy or scam-like posts and responses to ads.
Craigslist has a better customer rating on Sitejabber, where it's received 3.5 out of 5 stars. While Quora users also report coming across nonserious and suspicious user activity on Craigslist, the site is still regarded as a popular and easy-to-use platform for local classifieds.
How to Post a Job on Craigslist:
Six easy steps for posting a job on Craigslist.
Posting a Job on Craigslist.
Go to Craigslist.org.
Navigate to the Craigslist home page.
Select a city.
Choose the city and county you want to target with your job post.
Click on "create a posting."
The "create a posting" button is in the top-left corner of the page.
Choose a posting type.
Choose one of the job posting options and click on "continue."
Choose a job category.
Select one or more categories for your job post.
Fill in your job details.
Add information such as the job title, description, compensation, and more.
Once you've created your job post, review it, click "publish," check your email, and confirm. You will need to log in to your Craigslist account or create one in order to pay and confirm your job post.
Craigslist Job Posting and Recruiting Tips:
- Use a specific job title.
- Prominently state your company name.
- Check your spelling and grammar.
- Clearly state the job skills, duties, and requirements.
- Don't use vague or generic wording.
- Remove non-essential responsibilities and qualifications.
- Send all candidates a set of screening questions.
- Check communication skills by having them answer questions via voicemail.
How to Find Employees on Craigslist:
- Navigate to the Craigslist home page and click on the "jobs" section.
- On the next page, change the search filter from "jobs" to "CVs" or "services" to view posts by job seekers.
How to Search Resumes for Free on Craigslist:
- Navigate to craigslist.org.
- Select your city.
- At the bottom of the page, click "CVs."
- On the next page, you will be able to browse all the listed resumes in your city.
- If you want to search within resumes, enter a few keywords or a job title in the search bar.
- Select your preferred availability and education level on the left (optional).
- Click "enter."
Craigslist vs. Gumtree:
Compared to Gumtree, Craigslist is the more affordable option, allowing for free job ads, but offers less reach. The advantage Gumtree offers U.K. employers is a much larger audience, as Gumtree is the most popular and most visited online classifieds portal in the U.K.
Craigslist vs. LinkedIn:
While Craigslist is a great platform for local jobs and freelance work, LinkedIn, a global social network for professionals, is best for finding candidates for senior roles.
Craigslist vs. Find a Job:
Find a Job is a job portal provided by the U.K. government. Like Craigslist, it allows for free postings, but unlike Craigslist, it is a dedicated employment site. As a well-known local careers portal, Find a Job offers a trusted platform for job seekers and employers to connect.
How much does it cost to post a job on Craigslist in the U.K.?
It is free to post a job on Craigslist in the U.K.
How long does a Craigslist job posting last?
A free job posting on Craigslist lasts for up to 45 days.
How do you post a job on Craigslist if your jobs get ghosted?
"Ghosted" refers to Craigslist allowing it to seem like your post has gone live, while not actually posting it because it is suspected of being spam. If this happens, review what you're posting and make sure you are providing a clear, grammatically correct description of a real job.
Do you know how to post a job opening on Craigslist in other countries?
This is quite easy. Just go to craigslist.org/about/sites and look for the country, and then the city you want to post in and go through your normal process of posting a job on Craigslist.
How do I post a job on Craigslist for executive-level jobs?
This is uncommon, Craigslist is mostly used to post blue-collar jobs. You might want to consider posting elsewhere first. That said, the key would be convincing potential applicants that the job is real, and not too good to be true. Include as much detail as possible and triple-check your grammar.
Can I search resumes for free on Craigslist?
Yes, you can search resumes for free.