It is free to post a job on Craigslist in Australia.
Craigslist is a free online classifieds portal that is based out of the U.S. and caters to a multitude of cities and regions across the globe, including several in Australia.
While the platform is not as well visited in Australia as popular local alternatives Gumtree and Locanto, it still presents an attractive space for employers to advertise local jobs on dedicated, area-specific pages and search candidate resumes for free.
- The platform is easy to use.
- The site offers free postings, unlike Gumtree, which limits free postings.
- Users can target audiences by location.
- It is free to search resumes.
- Craigslist is a great platform for posting blue-collar jobs.
- Unlike local alternatives Gumtree and Locanto, Craigslist does not get large volumes of traffic in Australia.
- The platform is not suited for posting executive-level jobs.
- There are no local offices or local customer support channels for Australian users.
Customer reviews on Trustpilot, where the platform has a rating of 1.4 out of 5 stars, are overwhelmingly negative, with the most common grievances including a lack of customer support when it comes to removed posts, spammy posts, and responses to ads. One Australian user described their experience using Craigslist as hassle-free.
Craigslist has a better customer rating on Sitejabber, where it's received 3.5 out of 5 stars. While Quora users also reported coming across nonserious and suspicious user-activity on Craiglist, the site is still regarded as a popular and easy-to-use platform for local classifieds.
How to Post a Job on Craigslist:
Six easy steps for posting a job on Craigslist.
Posting a Job on Craigslist.
Go to Craigslist.org.
Navigate to the Craigslist home page.
Select a city.
Choose the city and state you want to target with your job post.
Click on "create a posting."
The "create a posting" button is in the top-left corner of the page.
Choose a posting type.
Choose one of the job posting options and click on "Continue."
Choose a job category.
Select one or more categories for your job post.
Fill in your job details.
Add information such as the job title, description, compensation, and more.
Once you've created your job post, review it, click "continue," check your email, and confirm. You will need to log in to your Craigslist account or create one in order to confirm your job post.
Craigslist Job Posting and Recruiting Tips:
- Use a specific job title.
- Prominently state your company name.
- Check your spelling and grammar.
- Clearly state the job skills, duties, and requirements.
- Don't use vague or generic wording.
- Remove non-essential responsibilities and qualifications.
- Send all candidates a set of screening questions.
- Check communication skills by having them answer questions via voicemail.
How to Find Employees on Craigslist:
- Navigate to the Craigslist home page and click on the "jobs" section.
- On the next page, change the search filter from "jobs" to "CVs" or "services" to view posts by job seekers.
How to Search Resumes for Free on Craigslist:
- Navigate to craigslist.org.
- Select your city.
- At the bottom of the page, click "CVs."
- On the next page, you will be able to browse resumes in your city.
- If you want to search within resumes, enter a few keywords or a job title in the search bar.
- Select your preferred availability and education level on the left (optional).
- Click "update search."
Craigslist vs. Gumtree:
Gumtree is the most visited online classifieds portal in Australia. While it allows users to post only one free ad on the platform, it is better known in the country and attracts far more traffic than Craigslist. Gumtree also has a more appealing user interface and, given its popularity in the region, is likely to yield better results.
Craigslist vs. Locanto:
Locanto, like Craigslist, is a global classifieds website that offers free job postings. It is more popular in Australia than Craigslist, being the second most visited online classifieds platform in the country. In direct comparison, Locanto is the better choice simply because it is better known and offers greater reach in Australia.
Craigslist vs. BlueCollar.com.au:
While Craigslist is popular for advertising local blue-collar jobs, the local site BlueCollar.com.au may be the more attractive option for reaching precisely that market as it is a dedicated portal targeting blue-collar workers, and not a page for general classifieds. However, Craigslist is more budget-friendly as it allows for free job posts.
Can you post jobs for free on Craigslist in Australia?
Yes, it is free to post jobs on Craigslist in Australia.
How many Craigslist posts can you make?
The general rule, according to Craigslist, is that you can post to one category in each city every 48 hours. Your ads may also be blocked if you post two ads that are very similar in the same geographic area even after 48 hours have passed. Removing similar ads should allow you to post a new one.
How long does a Craigslist job posting last?
A free job posting on Craigslist lasts for up to 45 days.
How do you post a job on Craigslist if your jobs get ghosted?
"Ghosted" refers to Craigslist allowing it to seem like your post has gone live, while not actually posting it because it is suspected of being spam. If this happens, review what you're posting and make sure you are providing a clear, grammatically correct description of a real job.
Do you know how to post a job opening on Craigslist in other countries?
This is quite easy. Just go to craigslist.org/about/sites and look for the country, and then the city you want to post in and go through your normal process of posting a job on Craigslist.
How do I post a job on Craigslist for executive-level jobs?
This is uncommon. If you're asking how to place a job ad on Craigslist for these jobs, you might want to consider posting elsewhere first. That said, the key would be convincing potential applicants that the job is real, and not too good to be true. Include as much detail as possible and triple-check your grammar.