It is free to post a job on Craigslist in Australia.
Craigslist is a free online classifieds portal that is based out of the U.S. and caters to a multitude of cities and regions across the globe, including several in Australia.
While the platform is not as well visited in Australia as popular local alternatives Gumtree Jobs and Locanto, it still presents an attractive space for employers to advertise local jobs on dedicated, area-specific pages and search candidate resumes for free.
- The platform is easy to use.
- The site offers free postings, unlike Gumtree Jobs, which limits free postings.
- Users can target audiences by location.
- It is free to search resumes.
- Craigslist is a great platform for posting blue-collar jobs.
- Unlike local alternatives Gumtree Jobs and Locanto, Craigslist does not get large volumes of traffic in Australia.
- The platform is not suited for posting executive-level jobs.
- There are no local offices or local customer support channels for Australian users.
Customer reviews on Trustpilot, where the platform has a rating of 1.4 out of 5 stars, are overwhelmingly negative, with the most common grievances including a lack of customer support when it comes to removed posts, spammy posts, and responses to ads. One Australian user described their experience using Craigslist as hassle-free.
Craigslist has a better customer rating on Sitejabber, where it's received 3.34 out of 5 stars. While Quora users also reported coming across nonserious and suspicious user-activity on Craiglist, the site is still regarded as a popular and easy-to-use platform for local classifieds.
How to Post a Job on Craigslist:
- Navigate to the Craigslist home page and select the city you want to target with your job post.
- Click on the "Post" button at the top of the page.
- Select "job offered" and click continue. Then select the industry/category for your job post and click "continue."
- Fill in your job posting details and click "continue."
- Upload images for your job post, and then proof and publish your draft.
How to Search Resumes for Free on Craigslist:
- Navigate to craigslist.org.
- Select your city.
- At the bottom of the page, click "CVs."
- On the next page, you will be able to browse resumes in your city.
- If you want to search within resumes, enter a few keywords or a job title in the search bar.
- Select your preferred availability and education level on the left (optional).
- Click "update search."
Craigslist vs. Gumtree Jobs:
Gumtree Jobs is the most visited online classifieds portal in Australia. While it allows users to post only one free ad on the platform, it is better known in the country and attracts far more traffic than Craigslist. Gumtree Jobs also has a more appealing user interface and, given its popularity in the region, is likely to yield better results.
Craigslist vs. Locanto:
Locanto, like Craigslist, is a global classifieds website that offers free job postings. It is more popular in Australia than Craigslist, being the second most visited online classifieds platform in the country. In direct comparison, Locanto is the better choice simply because it is better known and offers greater reach in Australia.
Craigslist vs. BlueCollar.com.au:
While Craigslist is popular for advertising local blue-collar jobs, the local site BlueCollar.com.au may be the more attractive option for reaching precisely that market as it is a dedicated portal targeting blue-collar workers, and not a page for general classifieds. However, Craigslist is more budget-friendly as it allows for free job posts.