Veterinarians specialize in treating pets, horses, wildlife or farm animals. Some Veterinarians treat fish, marine mammals and invertebrates. A Veterinarian can also teach at educational institutions, or work in research or food safety fields. Also known as Veterinary Surgeon or Vet.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Veterinarian Job Description Template
We are looking for an empathetic Veterinarian to prevent and treat illnesses in our practice's patients, and to improve their health and well-being. The Veterinarian’s patients will include dogs, cats, hamsters, rats, birds and closely related animals. You will collaborate with team members to uphold ethical practices and medical standards, and to share veterinary knowledge. You will work together with clients to select the best treatment solutions for individual patients, using state-of-the-art pharmaceuticals, materials and equipment.
To be successful in this position you need to collaborate effectively with clients to create tailor-made health solutions for pets. Preferred candidates are organized, well-informed and have high emotional intelligence.
- Assessing and examining patients, and diagnosing their medical issues.
- Conducting laboratory tests on specimens to diagnose medical conditions.
- Performing diagnostic imaging and ultrasound tests.
- Performing surgery, dressing and treating wounds, and prescribing medication.
- Promoting preventative care by advocating and administering routine vaccinations, and by educating clients on positive diet and lifestyle choices for pets.
- Improving patients’ dental health by performing checkups, and cleaning and extracting teeth.
- Euthanizing patients.
- Ensuring compliance with veterinary ethics and relevant statutes, policies and procedures.
- Maintaining patients’ medical records.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree.
- Appropriate state licensure.
- Strong affinity for animals.
- Ability to make prudent decisions regarding welfare and well-being of animals.
- Outstanding communication skills.
- Excellent people skills.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- Undeterred by being scratched, bitten or exposed to infectious diseases, and resilient to noise.
- Available to work extended hours.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources