A Veterinary Assistant supports veterinarians and veterinary technicians, which allows them to focus on their job responsibilities. Veterinary Assistants provide clients with information regarding treatments and products, keep treatment areas clean and assist with nursing duties.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Veterinary Assistant Job Description Template
We are looking to recruit a compassionate Veterinary Assistant to assist our veterinary team by providing assistance with nursing and other duties. The Veterinary Assistant will educate clients on pet health, ensure the safety and comfort of patients, and oversee continuity of care. You will collaborate with team members to create a positive, comfortable environment for patients. You will provide professional, efficient service at all times.
To ensure success you need to love animals, and have the ability to optimize their comfort during treatment and hospitalization. Preferred candidates are dexterous, knowledgeable and caring.
Veterinary Assistant Responsibilities:
- Ensuring treatment areas, examination rooms, hospital areas, cages and laboratories are clean and organized.
- Sterilizing equipment.
- Ensuring clients and pets are comfortable in waiting area.
- Providing empathetic care for hospitalized patients, and keeping patients and their cages clean.
- Restraining irritable, angry patients appropriately and safely where required.
- Assisting with administering medication, drawing blood and cleaning patients’ teeth.
- Performing diagnostic imaging and laboratory tests.
- Liaising with veterinarians and veterinary technicians to ensure continuity of patient care.
- Complying with hospital standards, rules, regulations and policies.
- Maintaining medical records.
Veterinary Assistant Requirements:
- High School Diploma, GED, or suitable equivalent.
- NAVTA-approved veterinary assistant certification.
- Affinity for animals.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong people skills.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- Physically strong and dexterous, and ability to stand for extended periods.
- Available to work over weekends.