Animal Trainers help prepare animals to perform certain tasks or refrain from exhibiting undesirable behaviors. Animal Trainers will work closely with animals, monitoring their behavior and physical condition, and their owners or handlers to determine their expectations and discuss the animal’s progress and abilities.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Animal Trainer Job Description Template
We are searching for a motivated, patient candidate who has a passion for working with animals. The Animal Trainer must learn about animal behavior and develop training techniques. You will provide instruction to animals, condition them, determine their receptiveness to training, check them for health or behavioral problems. You will work with pet owners or animal handlers to find out what they hope to achieve through animal training and inform them about the animal’s progress. You may also assist with grooming the animal or habitat maintenance.
Successful Animal Trainers will be patient, knowledgeable, and able to meet the physical demands of the job, which may include lifting heavy items, working outside, or running. You should be a skilled teacher with excellent communication, problem-solving, listening, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
Animal Trainer Responsibilities:
- Speaking with animal owners or trainers to determine their goals and expectations.
- Developing an understanding of animal behavior.
- Creating training regimes for animals.
- Monitoring animals for health and behavioral issues, learning about their unique abilities.
- Feeding and medicating animals.
- Using positive reinforcement and other techniques to elicit desired animal behavior.
- Providing updates to other parties about the progress and condition of the animals.
- Educating others about animals, their behavior, training, and environment.
- Providing general care to animals, such as grooming, cleaning habitats or sleeping areas, and familiarizing animals with human voices and contact.
- Some positions may require assistance with breeding the animals.
Animal Trainer Requirements:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Extensive experience working with animals.
- A Bachelor’s degree may be required to work with some animals, such as marine life.
- Additional on-the-job training is generally required.
- Extensive knowledge of animal care and behavior.
- Strong presentation, interpersonal, listening, and communication skills.
- Patience and exceptional teaching skills.
- Thorough record keeping skills.
- Excellent problem-solving abilities.