Substance Abuse Counselor Job Description Template
We are seeking a compassionate and dedicated substance abuse counselor to help provide direction and support for our patients. In this role, you will be responsible for developing treatment and recovery plans, and identifying behaviors that impede rehabilitation. You may also be required to facilitate individual and group therapy sessions.
To ensure success, substance abuse counselors should be familiar with the latest treatment methods, and collaborate with other mental health care specialists. Top-notch candidates have excellent clinical knowledge and demonstrable counseling experience.
Substance Abuse Counselor Responsibilities:
- Managing all aspects of a case from date of entry to date of discharge.
- Evaluating patients' physical and mental behaviors.
- Developing appropriate treatment and recovery plans.
- Facilitating individual and group therapy sessions.
- Monitoring patients over time to access treatment progress.
- Collaborating with psychiatrists, doctors, nurses, social workers, and departments of correction.
- Identifying behaviors that interfere with treatment and recovery.
- Assisting primary caregivers to manage addiction-related behavior.
Substance Abuse Counselor Requirements:
- Associate degree in chemical dependency counseling, or a bachelor's degree with coursework in chemical dependency.
- Master's degree in counseling preferred.
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC), or similar.
- Previous experience with the treatment of substance abuse disorders.
- Familiarity with electronic health record systems like AVATAR would be advantageous.
- Experience with co-occurring health and mental health problems.
- Application of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services’ (SAMHSA) best practice indicators.
- In-depth knowledge of drug and alcohol testing to monitor treatment plans and medical instructions.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a compassionate nature.