Interview Questions for Mental Health Therapists
1. Describe a time when you were able to console an emotional patient. How did you do it?
Shows compassion and professionalism.
2. What, in your opinion, is the most important quality in a Mental Health Therapist?
Along with patience, candidates should cite empathy and emotional intelligence as key skills in a Mental Health Therapist.
3. Have you ever failed to properly diagnose a client or offer helpful counseling? What did you do?
In the event that a candidate fails to offer the counseling a patient requires, the candidate should recommend the patient to a specialist who they believe is better suited to deal with their problem. It is important that candidates do not create the impression that the patient's problem is unsolvable, but rather that they require care beyond the candidate's professional capacity.
4. What factors do you assess before recommending a treatment plan?
Highlights the candidate’s education and training history.
5. One of your clients is hesitant to speak at your sessions. How would you help to ease their tension?
Reveals the candidate’s communication and people skills.