Audio or Sound Engineers manage the technical aspects of sound. They can manipulate live sounds or edit recordings in studios. Sound Engineers can be employed in any environment that requires better quality audio. They typically set up and test equipment, work directly with musicians and producers, and may also assist at live events.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Sound Engineer Job Description Template
We are searching for an innovative, reliable Sound Engineer to join our team and work on a range of projects. You will work in the studio or manipulate sound at live events. Responsibilities include setting up and maintaining audio equipment, enhancing audio with appropriate sound effects, fixing sound-related issues, working with producers, singers, and other musicians, and completing projects to specifications. You should be able to offer creative input, but also follow written and verbal instructions.
To be successful as a Sound Engineer, you should demonstrate patience, attention to detail, and great interpersonal skills. Outstanding Sound Engineers are able to admit to their mistakes, think on their feet, and make effective recommendations.
Sound Engineer Responsibilities:
- Meeting with clients to determine the requirements and specifications of recordings or performances.
- Safely setting up, repairing, servicing, and replacing equipment when required.
- Manipulating and enhancing live and recorded audio.
- Diagnosing and troubleshooting equipment.
- Understanding briefs and making helpful suggestions if possible and appropriate.
- Editing and mixing audio to client specifications.
- Improvising props to produce required sounds.
- Keeping abreast of advancements in the field through ongoing training and networking with others in the industry.
- Building solid, professional relationships with other artists and clients.
Sound Engineer Requirements:
- High school diploma.
- Associate's Degree or other relevant certification recommended.
- Record of participation in audiovisual projects is advantageous.
- Practical experience with recording, editing, and mixing software.
- Familiarity with audio mixing consoles, microphones, and equalizers.
- A good ear and creative spirit.
- Ability to follow instructions and remain professional under pressure.
- Sound troubleshooting and diagnostic skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources