Sales Associates are most commonly found working for retailers who sell clothing, jewelry, office supplies, and sporting goods. Alternative titles for this role are Retail Sales Associate, Sales Floor Associate, and Retail Salesperson.
Sales Associates greet customers on arrival then assist the customer with any questions they have about the purchase they want to make. They often help the customer with returns, refunds, and resolve common complaints.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
What does a Sales Associate do?
As the public face of the company the Sales Associate is responsible for dealing with any and all customer questions about the products and services the company offers. A Sales Associate is expected to be continuously updating their knowledge of the company products, services, and policies.
Complaint handling is a critical part of this position. Turning a frustrated customer into a happy customer, while adhering to company policies, requires a combination of empathy and tact.
Another key responsibility is maintaining the presentation of the sales floor, products, signage, and displays.
Sales Associate Responsibilities:
- Greeting customers, responding to questions, improving engagement with merchandise and providing outstanding customer service.
- Operating cash registers, managing financial transactions, and balancing drawers.
- Achieving established goals.
- Directing customers to merchandise within the store.
- Increasing in store sales.
- Superior product knowledge.
- Maintaining an orderly appearance throughout the sales floor.
- Introducing promotions and opportunities to customers.
- Cross-selling products to increase purchase amounts.
Sales Associate Requirements:
- An Associate’s degree or high school diploma.
- Retail sales experience.
- A professional appearance.
- Maintain a positive attitude and focus on customer satisfaction in a fast-paced environment.
- The ability to read, write, and perform basic math.
- The ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
What is a Sales Associate?
The job of a sales associate may differ from company to company and the duties of a sales associate may vary accordingly. In general, Sales Associates represent the company and assist customers by assessing their needs and helping them find the right products or services.
How do I create a sales associate skills list that fits my needs?
To post a sales associate job description that meets your company's needs, think about the duties of a sales associate and add the sales associate skills and duties you’d like to have. If you are having trouble getting started or need more ideas, take a look at our list of skills for sales associates on the sales associate job description above.
What are the most common sales associate duties and responsibilities?
- Greeting customers.
- Operating cash registers.
- Increasing in store sales.
- Maintaining sales floor appearance.
- Cross-selling products.
- Directing customers to merchandise.
What are the best places to find sales job associates?
Try posting to free job posting sites first. These include top sites like Indeed that get the bulk of candidates, and cover all levels of experience and education.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources