Cashiers scan items, ensure that prices are quantities are correct, and collect payments. They also assist customers by explaining or recommending items, answering questions, and processing exchanges or refunds.
Cashier Job Description Template
We are looking for an efficient, courteous Cashier who possesses excellent customer service skills. The Cashier will scan the customer’s selections, ensure that prices and quantities are accurate, accept payments, issue receipts, answer inquiries, and provide helpful information to customers products, promotions, or item location. You will also respond to complaints, process refunds or exchanges of items, and maintain a clean workspace.
To succeed as a Cashier, you should have a strong work ethic and high level of accuracy. You should be responsible, attentive to customer needs, and committed to providing excellent service.
- Welcoming customers, answering their questions, helping them locate items, and providing advice or recommendations.
- Operating scanners, scales, cash registers, and other electronics.
- Balancing the cash register and generating reports for credit and debit sales.
- Accepting payments, ensuring all prices and quantities are accurate and proving a receipt to every customer.
- Processing refunds and exchanges, resolving complaints.
- Bagging or wrapping purchases to ensure safe transport.
- Following all store procedures regarding coupons, gift cards, or the purchase of specific items, such as alcohol or cigarettes.
- Maintaining a clean workspace.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Customer service or Cashier experience.
- Ability to handle transactions accurately and responsibly.
- High level of energy with strong customer service skills.
- Basic math and computer skills.
- Ability to stand, walk, lift heavy items, and work with other team members in a fast-paced environment to provide excellent service.
- Attention to detail.
- Helpful, courteous approach to resolving complaints.
What do cashiers do?
Cashiers check prices and quantities for accuracy, collect and process payments, and scan items for purchase. If you would like to include additional cashier duties and responsibilities, simply add them to our cashier position description to create a detailed job listing.
What skills should a cashier have?
Cashiers should be courteous and attentive to customers while they scan and count items and collect payments. They should be skilled multitaskers with solid math skills. The basic duties of a cashier also require a high level of efficiency and accuracy. While these cashier skills and qualifications are a good place to start, you should create a cashier job skills list that tells applicants what it takes to be a successful member of your team.
Can I customize your job description for cashiers?
When you post a cashier job listing, you should let candidates know more about your company’s needs and requirements. Feel free to add to or edit our cashier duties list or cashier job qualifications to create a listing that works for your business.
What should I include in my cashier job advertisement?
When you advertise a cashier job, you should focus on attracting the type of employee your company needs. Provide applicants with a list of cashier job requirements and responsibilities and highlight some of the cashier job skills and qualities you’d like to have in your next hire. Our cashier work description can be edited to create a polished, informative job listing that will the right applicants for your business.
Do you have examples of cashier interview questions?
We have interview questions to go with all of our job descriptions.
After you have reviewed our cashier job description samples and created a job listing for your business, take some time to review our interview questions for cashiers.