Deli Clerks assist shoppers at the deli counter by recommending foods, providing samples of meats and cheeses, cutting, weighing, packaging, and pricing meats and cheeses, and responding to customer inquiries and requests. They also maintain clean work areas, update displays, and inform customers about specials, promotions, and new items.
Deli Clerk Job Description Template:
We are looking for a courteous, customer-focused Deli Clerk who is committed to providing customers with the best service possible. Deli Clerks will clean and prepare workstations and displays, answer questions and respond to customer requests, and provide information to clients to ensure that they select the products that best fit their needs.
To succeed as a Deli Clerk, you should be polite, prompt, and knowledgeable. Additionally, you should be able to meet the physical demands of the position while providing customers with the best possible experience.
Deli Clerk Responsibilities:
- Providing responsive, exceptional service to deli counter customers by answering questions, making recommendations, providing samples, and responding to requests.
- Recommending, slicing, weighing, packaging, and pricing meats and cheeses.
- Preparing special orders and party trays.
- Updating displays, cases, and other customer-facing areas to ensure new items and promotions are showcased.
- Ensuring that work areas are ready to service customers by cleaning surfaces, equipment, and floors, removing trash, and confirming that tools are in working order.
- Following all food safety and sanitation procedures established by the company and other regulatory agencies.
- Cooperating with others to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Confirming that all displays, products, and services comply with company standards.
Deli Clerk Requirements:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Some companies may have a minimum age requirement of 18.
- Deli counter or food preparation experience may be required.
- Ability to lift heavy items, ranging from 25 to 50 lbs, and operate equipment, such as meat and cheese slicers, scales, cash registers, etc.
- Excellent customer service, communication, and math skills.
- Ability to comprehend and follow all company procedures and regulations regarding food handling and sanitation.
- A courteous and efficient approach to handling customer requests, questions, and complaints.
Deli Clerk FAQ:
What is a deli clerk?
A deli clerk is an employee who assists customers at the deli counter by helping them sample and select meats and cheeses and slicing and packaging the products for purchase.
What are the duties of a deli clerk?
Deli clerk responsibilities usually include responding to customer questions and complaints, distributing product samples, assisting customers as they select meats and cheeses, and slicing, packaging, and pricing items for purchase.
What is a deli worker called?
Deli clerk job titles may vary by company. You may find listings for deli workers under deli associate job descriptions, service deli job descriptions, and deli employee job descriptions. When crafting a deli worker job description, you may use the title specified or preferred by your company.
Can I customize the deli staff job description?
Feel free to edit and add to the deli clerk duties and deli department job description. When you post a deli department job description, it should reflect the needs of your business. Review the job description of a deli clerk above to get more ideas for your company’s listing.
Do you have interview questions for a deli clerk?
We have interview question for all of our job descriptions.
After you have created a deli job description, check out our deli clerk interview questions.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources