Retail buyers are responsible for researching, sourcing, and purchasing products for retail companies. They may be employed by businesses or work independently to source goods such as food, consumables, and a variety of other products for resale to customers by large retail outlets or smaller niche shops.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Retail Buyer Job Description Template
We are looking for an experienced retail buyer to procure a variety of retail products for our company. As a retail buyer, you will be responsible for conducting market research, sourcing products, and negotiating contracts with suppliers. You will also be responsible for logistical management and inventory control.
To ensure success as a retailer buyer, you should have excellent research and negotiation skills. An outstanding retail buyer has an exceptional understanding of consumer trends and is able to source the best quality products within the allocated budget.
Retail Buyer Responsibilities:
- Conducting market research on consumer and product trends.
- Maintaining relationships with suppliers and establishing new contracts with vendors.
- Sourcing and negotiating with suppliers and vendors to ensure the best quality and price of the products.
- Managing the purchasing and logistics of the products.
- Monitoring inventory and liaising with suppliers and distributors.
- Managing all administrative tasks such as purchase orders, stock control, and logistic documents.
- Assisting with marketing and sales strategies.
- Generating and presenting analytical reports such as market research, price comparisons, and cost analyses.
- Reporting any issues with suppliers, logistics, or products to the supervisor.
- Keeping abreast of competitors and the new products on the market.
Retail Buyer Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in business, marketing, or similar.
- A minimum of two years' experience in retail preferred.
- Great computer skills and proficiency in programs such as MS Office.
- Good understanding of POS and eCommerce software such as Shopify.
- Sounds knowledge of logistics and distribution.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Good market researching and networking skills.
- Great understanding of retail products and consumer trends.
- Good report writing and presentation skills.
- Strong analytical thinking abilities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources