Music Therapist Job Description Template
We are looking for a tuneful, compassionate Music therapist to provide our clients with music therapy consultations and services. During sessions, the music therapist will sing and play a wide range of instruments including the autoharp, piano, guitar, glockenspiel, and xylophone. You will offer passive listening as well as participatory programs that include playing, singing, and creating music. You will instruct patients on techniques such as progressive muscle relaxation.
To be effective in this role you need to multitask by playing music, interacting with clients, making assessments, and taking notes simultaneously. Top candidates will be meticulous and compassionate and have strong problem-solving skills.
Music Therapist Responsibilities:
- Collaborating with an interdisciplinary team to ascertain whether individuals qualify for music therapy.
- Designing musical interventions based on therapeutic goals to improve clients' psychological, physical, and social health.
- Providing music therapy sessions.
- Inviting clients to interact by encouraging them to sing and dance.
- Monitoring clients during musical interventions and measuring the effectiveness of sessions.
- Recording and videotaping clients on a periodic basis to measure effectiveness and progress.
- Keeping records of client progress.
- Conducting biannual assessments to re-evaluate clients.
- Maintaining musical instruments.
- Overseeing and mentoring Music Therapist interns.
Music Therapist Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in music therapy.
- 2+ years work experience as a music therapist.
- Certified with Certification Board for Music Therapists (CBMT).
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Outstanding people skills.
- Proficient with playing guitar, piano, drums, autoharp and Orff instruments.
- Excellent singing abilities.
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills.