Music Therapists are qualified therapists who use music interventions to assist clients to explore their feelings and improve their emotional-wellbeing and problem-solving skills. Music Therapists assist people with developmental and learning disabilities, and age-related conditions.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Music Therapist Job Description Template
We are looking for a tuneful, compassionate Music Therapist to provide our clients with music therapy consultations and services. During sessions the Music Therapist will sing and play a wide range of instruments including the autoharp, piano, guitar, glockenspiel and xylophone. You will offer passive listening as well as participatory programs that include playing, singing and creating music. You will instruct patients on techniques such as progressive muscle relaxation.
To be effective in this role you need to multitask by playing music, interacting with clients, making assessments and taking notes simultaneously. Top candidates will be meticulous and compassionate, and have strong problem-solving skills.
Music Therapist Responsibilities:
- Collaborating with interdisciplinary team to ascertain whether individuals qualify for music therapy.
- Designing musical interventions based on therapeutic goals to improve clients' psychological, physical and social health.
- Providing music therapy sessions.
- Inviting clients to interact by encouraging them to sing and dance.
- Monitoring clients during musical interventions and measuring effectiveness of sessions.
- Recording and videotaping clients on a periodic basis to measure effectiveness and progress.
- Keeping records of client progress.
- Conducting biannual assessments to re-evaluate clients.
- Maintaining musical instruments.
- Overseeing and mentoring Music Therapist interns.
Music Therapist Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in music therapy.
- 2+ years work experience as a music therapist.
- Certified with Certification Board for Music Therapists (CBMT).
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Outstanding people skills.
- Proficient with playing guitar, piano, drums, autoharp and Orff instruments.
- Excellent singing abilities.
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills.