Music Directors lead and prepare music groups for performances. They hold auditions, select music, provide training, and ensure the maintenance of all instruments. Music Directors can work with bands, choirs, or orchestras. They can also work in radio and television.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Music Director Job Description Template
We are searching for an energetic and detail-oriented Music Director to join our company. The Music Director’s responsibilities include holding auditions, drawing up rehearsal schedules, selecting music, delegating tasks, and remaining updated on developments in the music industry. You should also be able to work with professionals with various musical backgrounds, and also clearly communicate your vision.
To be successful as a Music Director, you should understand the skills, strengths, and weaknesses of the musicians in your charge. Outstanding candidates demonstrate strong creative intelligence, are able to work within budgetary constraints, and build professional relationships with group members.
Music Director Responsibilities:
- Understanding the specifications and constraints of a platform and working with available resources to plan performances.
- Holding auditions for new musical talent and assigning parts to different musicians.
- Assessing the rhythm, tone, voice, and skills of each musician and developing a good understanding of their individual abilities.
- Providing vocal and instrumental demonstrations where necessary.
- Scheduling staff meetings and providing feedback and suggestions for improvement.
- Preparing budgets and ensuring staff work within budgetary constraints.
- Selecting music and organizing interviews, PR opportunities, and performances for radio and television.
- Leading and supervising rehearsals and performances.
- Arranging regular maintenance for all musical instruments.
- Staying up-to-date on developments and trends in the music industry.
Music Director Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Music may be required.
- Master’s or Doctorate preferable.
- Excellent knowledge of music techniques, theory, and performance.
- Great organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Strong leadership, time management, and multitasking abilities.
- Ability to give clear instructions and make decisions under pressure.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources