Mental Health Specialists are professionals who help patients manage a variety of mental illnesses. They typically work in rehabilitation centers and healthcare facilities, such as hospitals and clinics, but can also be found in schools, correctional centers, and the military.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Mental Health Specialist Job Description Template
We are searching for an innovative and resilient Mental Health Specialist to join our healthcare team. In this role, you will complete patient assessments, make diagnoses, work with other healthcare professionals to develop treatment plans, and conduct individual and group therapy sessions. You will also provide crisis intervention when required.
To be successful as a Mental Health Specialist, you should have a sound understanding of human psychology and the types of therapies used to treat mental disorders. Ideal candidates should be compassionate problem solvers who feel comfortable collaborating with other mental health experts.
Mental Health Specialist Responsibilities:
- Collecting and interpreting patient information to perform assessments and diagnoses.
- Developing and implementing treatment plans for a range of mental illnesses such as anxiety, depression, personality and behavioral disorders, phobias, post-traumatic stress, and more.
- Monitoring patients’ progress and liaising with other healthcare professionals to adjust treatment plans as required.
- Facilitating group and one-on-one counseling sessions.
- Maintaining detailed notes for all patients in your care.
- Liaising with parol officers, social workers, community members, and teachers, as required.
- Scheduling meetings with family members and caregivers to discuss treatment plans and appropriate management techniques.
- Constantly expanding your knowledge of psychiatric disorders by attending conferences, completing additional courses, and networking with other mental health professionals.
- Observing the appropriate workplace and health and safety guidelines at all times.
Mental Health Specialist Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Psychology or a related discipline.
- Previous experience working in a mental healthcare setting is preferred.
- Master’s degree in Psychology, Social Work, Counseling, or a related field may be advantageous.
- Certified Mental Health Professional (CMHP) certification or similar may be required.
- A sound understanding of various therapy types, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), Gestalt therapy, multimodal therapy, and more.
- Working knowledge of software such TherapyNotes, ShareNotes, and Procentive may be advantageous.
- Superior problem-solving and observational skills.
- Resilience and sound judgment.
- The ability to work rotational shifts and weekends when required.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources