Mental Health Counselors are qualified professionals who specialize in psychotherapy and intervention methods to help people living with mental health challenges. Their duties are not limited to managing psychiatric disorders, as they also assist those with emotional distress and addiction disorders. They may work in public or private institutions.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Mental Health Counselor Job Description Template
We are looking for a compassionate and experienced Mental Health Counselor to provide our clients with professional care. In this role, you will be responsible for conducting mental health evaluations, developing treatment plans, and facilitating individual and group interventions. You may also be required to manage referrals.
To ensure success, Mental Health Counselors should be familiar with the latest developments in psychotheraphy, and be comfortable collaborating with other healthcare professionals. Outstanding candidates exhibit exceptional clinical insight and extensive counseling experience.
Mental Health Counselor Responsibilities:
- Conducting preliminary interviews and documenting cases from the initial consultation to the end of treatment.
- Evaluating clients' mental, behavioral, and emotional health.
- Developing appropriate intervention and recovery plans for individuals, couples, families, and groups.
- Facilitating individual and group therapy sessions.
- Monitoring progress throughout the treatment plan.
- Collaborating on intervention plans with other mental health specialists, doctors, nurses, and social workers.
- Following up with psychiatrists and attending physicians for clients admitted to hospital.
- Identifying and preventing behaviors that impede recovery.
- Assisting family members and primary caregivers to manage mental behavioral challenges.
Mental Health Counselor Requirements:
- A CACREP-accredited Master's Degree in Mental Health Counseling, or similar.
- Pass score obtained in the NCE, and/or the NCMHCE.
- State-approved license to practice as a Mental Health Counselor.
- Previous experience as a Mental Health Counselor.
- Proficiency with electronic health record systems like AVATAR.
- Experience with underlying physical and emotional health conditions, and addiction disorders.
- Familiarity with the American Mental Health Counselors Association (AMHCA) best practices.
- In-depth knowledge of the effects of drugs prescribed by medical specialists.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a sympathetic nature.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources