Layout designers are graphic artists who specialize in page composition. They work together with graphic designers to determine the ideal layout for printed pages and screens. They ensure that page text and images are balanced and create a natural flow for the reader to follow.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Layout Designer Job Description Template
We are searching for a talented layout designer to join our graphic design team. As a layout designer, you will be working closely with artists and graphic designers to create eye-catching media for printed pages and screens. Your job is to ensure that the text, images, and media is perfectly balanced on the page to ensure a pleasant reading experience.
To be successful as a layout designer you should have extensive graphic design experience, a natural eye for composition, and artistic flair. A top-class layout designer should be able to create visually striking content that invites the reader to explore all aspects of the page.
Laout Designer Responsibilities:
- Coordinating with the publication team on projects including graphic designers, proofreaders, and illustrators.
- Brainstorming new page ideas to incorporate advertisements naturally into the text.
- Arranging page elements for screens and printed media.
- Determining text and image size for each page.
- Manipulating image aspect ratio for optimum viewing.
- Modifying page graphics to work with the images and text.
- Examining page proofs for final approval.
- Reviewing successful campaigns and adjusting strategies accordingly.
Layout Designer Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design, Visual Arts, or similar.
- 3+ years of experience as a layout designer or graphic designer.
- Proficiency with industry desktop publishing tools including Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Quark, and Illustrator.
- Excellent composition and visual design skills.
- A deep understanding of typography principals.
- Artistic and drawing skills.
- Advanced proofreading skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Excellent communication skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources