Food expeditors work in restaurants to ensure a smooth flow between the front of house and the back of house. They set the pace and flow of the kitchen to ensure that all dishes are properly prepared and served at the correct temperatures. They also ensure that a table gets all their food at the same time.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Food Expeditor Job Description Template
We are looking for a detail-oriented individual to join our team as the food expeditor. The responsibilities of the food expeditor include maintaining the flow of orders from waiters to kitchen to diners, ensuring orders are completed quickly and correctly, assisting with the finishing touches on dishes, and conducting quality control on each dish.
To be successful as a food expeditor, you should have strong communication, coordination, organizational, and management skills. Ultimately, a top-notch food expeditor should excel at directing people in a fast-paced, chaotic environment.
Food Expeditor Responsibilities:
- Ensuring communication in the kitchen by calling out orders, getting the status on dishes, and calling the waitstaff to serve completed dishes.
- Informing the waitstaff when certain dishes or ingredients have run out and passing food requests from the waitstaff to the kitchen.
- Monitoring the food portions on completed dishes according to restaurant standards.
- Ensuring that all orders are completed in time and with the correct priority.
- Inspecting the cleanliness, presentation, and temperature of completed dishes.
- Performing the finishing touches to completed dishes, such as adding garnishes and removing smudges.
- Keeping the cooking, storage, and prep areas clean, neat, and well-stocked.
- Ensuring all staff adhere to health and safety standards.
- Assisting all staff as needed.
- Handling customer complaints on behalf of the kitchen staff and looking for solutions.
Food Expeditor Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Good understanding of restaurant health and safety regulations.
- Food handling certification may be required.
- Relevant restaurant experience may be advantageous.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills.
- Strong attention to detail, multi-tasking, and time management skills.
- Great customer service skills.
- Ability to handle a high-pressure, fast-paced, and stressful environment.
- Physical stamina to stand for long periods, assist where needed, and carry heavy trays.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources