Criminal Analyst Job Description Template
We are looking for an analytical, detail-oriented criminal analyst to join our law enforcement team and support our policing activities. The responsibilities of a criminal analyst include applying insights gained from statistical crime data to detect criminal trends and patterns, and developing strategies to reduce and prevent criminal activities.
A successful criminal analyst should have a strong grasp of statistical methodologies, excellent pattern recognition abilities, and strong strategic thinking skills. You should be able to study criminal patterns and suspect profiles and offer predictions of the place, time, and day that a crime may occur.
Criminal Analyst Responsibilities:
- Gathering and analyzing criminal data.
- Using computer programs and statistical data to map possible criminal activity.
- Preparing criminal reports to support policing activities.
- Creating and conducting visual presentations for law enforcement personnel.
- Developing crime prevention strategies.
- Creating, maintaining, and updating a database of criminal activity based on various points of information.
- Conducting research on a particular criminal behavior to generate leads, if requested.
- Identifying criminal trends and advising law enforcement personnel on crime prevention strategies.
- Keeping up-to-date with policing techniques and innovations.
Criminal Analyst Requirements:
- A Bachelor's degree in criminology, criminal justice, statistics, sociology, or law enforcement.
- Clear background check and polygraph test.
- A minimum of 2 years' experience working in law enforcement or data analysis.
- Strong working knowledge of data gathering, verification, and analysis.
- Excellent grasp of Countering Crime and GIS & Data Analytics programs.
- Pattern recognition and strategic thinking skills.
- Strong team-working and collaboration skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.