Criminologists study the nature and causes of crime and the criminals who commit them. They research the social and biological background of criminals to determine common traits, and assist law enforcement to better understand criminal behavior and prevent future crimes.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Criminologist Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a dedicated and highly analytical Criminologist with excellent research skills. You will be responsible for examining a range of crimes, conducting extensive research on the social, biological and environmental factors that lead to deviant behavior, identifying criminal patterns, formulating criminal profiles, compiling research reports, and collaborating with law enforcement.
To be successful in this role, you should demonstrate a strong interest in human nature, an understanding of statistics, and the ability to apply theoretical principles to make informed analyses and hypotheses.
- Gather and analyze data about the causes and nature of crime to determine criminal patterns and common traits among criminals.
- Research and analyze the biological, social, and psychological background of criminals to gain an understanding of the motivation behind their deviant behavior.
- Develop profiles of criminal types to assist law enforcement to identify potential criminals, understand their behavior, and apprehend them more efficiently.
- Examine crime scenes, evidence, and autopsies to determine what happened and which profile category the criminal falls into.
- Prepare reports and statistics of research findings for future reference.
- Assist law enforcement and the justice system with developing crime prevention strategies and reform policies based on findings.
- Assess the social impact of crime and determine how to address these issues.
- Bachelor's Degree in Criminology, Sociology, or related field.
- Master's Degree or postgraduate qualification may be preferred.
- Licensure may be required.
- Excellent research and communication skills.
- Critical thinking ability and detail-oriented.
- Computer skills and knowledge of relevant software.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources