Crime Scene Investigators identify, collect, analyze and process evidence from a crime scene. They are mainly employed by local, state or federal law enforcement agencies, and are also known as forensic science technicians and crime scene analysts.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Crime Scene Investigator Job Description Template
We are seeking an experienced Crime Scene Investigator to join our police department. As a successful candidate, you will secure and process crime scenes, examine and preserve evidence, operate forensic and digital equipment, prepare reports, and testify in court regarding your findings. You will collaborate with a team of investigators and report to a senior investigator.
Successful candidates will have a Bachelor's Degree in Forensic Science and prior experience in a law enforcement office or related field. Keen observation skills and dedication to serving your community will serve you well in this role.
- Ensure that crime scenes are effectively secured to avoid contamination and tampering.
- Identify, collect and package evidence at the crime scene, including weapons, fingerprints, fibers, DNA, and other biological evidence.
- Photograph, videotape and draw sketches of the crime scene for future reference.
- Transport evidence to the laboratory for further analysis.
- Document evidence and compile detailed reports.
- Testify in court regarding evidence collected.
- Able to work independently and with a team of investigators.
- Strong understanding of and adherence to protocol.
- Attend training and exercises to supplement skills and improve knowledge.
- Bachelor's Degree in Forensic Science, Criminal Justice, or related field.
- Additional certification may be required.
- Critical thinking, problem-solving, and deductive reasoning skills.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal).
- Able to operate specialized computer software and photographic equipment.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to work day and night shifts, and over weekends.
- Ability to travel.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources