Criminalist Job Description Template
We are seeking a detail-oriented criminalist to perform scientific analyses of physical evidence collected from crime scenes. The criminalist will collect, identify, document, and preserve evidence accordingly, perform scientific analyses and tests in a laboratory, interpret the results, write detailed reports of their findings, and report these to investigators.
To excel in this role, you should demonstrate strong attention to detail, critical thinking, and excellent communication skills. A solid education and background in physical and natural science is a strong requirement.
- Retrieve, document, and preserve evidence according to laboratory standards.
- Apply scientific and chemical techniques to analyze, compare, and test physical evidence.
- Ensure the proper handling and maintenance of laboratory equipment and instruments.
- Prepare detailed reports of test results.
- Communicate results to criminal investigators.
- Confer and collaborate with laboratory personnel.
- Provide expert testimony and objective analyses of findings in court.
- Comply with established quality control procedures and safety precautions when dealing with dangerous chemicals and objects.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in criminalistics, forensic science, or a related field.
- Additional certification may be required.
- Detail-oriented, analytically-minded, and strong organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work shifts, and over weekends and holidays.