Also known as detectives and private investigators, Criminal Investigators work with law enforcement agencies, individuals, and businesses to investigate and solve crimes in an effort to secure a successful conviction.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Criminal Investigator Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a qualified Criminal Investigator to join our law enforcement agency. You will investigate alleged criminal activities and build solid cases against suspects linked to a range of crimes, including but not limited to, homicide, fraud, and organized crime. Your responsibilities will include collecting and analyzing evidence, interviewing witnesses and suspects, conducting surveillance, and making arrests. The Criminal Investigator should be able to work independently and as part of a diverse team of professionals.
Successful applicants should be hardworking, trustworthy, and dedicated to public service within our district. An Associate's Degree with a minimum of five years' experience as a law enforcement officer is desired.
- Conduct detailed investigations of complex criminal activities and other violations of local, federal, or state law.
- Collect, analyze, and preserve evidence.
- Direct crime scene investigators and other law enforcement personnel at crime scenes.
- Employ deductive reasoning and analysis to make informed decisions and conclusions that lead to prosecution.
- Write detailed case reports, and file and maintain records.
- Coordinate search and arrest warrants, and arrest suspects as needed.
- Testify in court regarding case evidence and findings in order to secure a conviction.
- Man and operate firearms and electronic surveillance equipment.
- Undergo continuous training and development as required.
- Maintain strict confidentiality.
- Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice, or related field, and/or equivalent training at a federal law enforcement college.
- Prior experience is preferred.
- Additional certification may be required.
- Computer skills and proficiency in multimedia technology.
- Critical thinking, problem-solving skills, deductive reasoning, and social perceptiveness.
- Ability to work irregular hours, and over weekends and holidays.
- Ability to travel.