Composers write, direct, and create music for various genres. They may produce compositions, scores, and arrangements for theatre, film, television, and even video games. Composers have an excellent musical ear and often advise musicians. They are typically skilled in one or more instruments.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Composer Job Description Template
We are looking for a disciplined and talented Composer to join our music department. The Composer’s responsibilities include collaborating with other musicians to create original scores, ensembles, and arrangements, and providing direction and advice during rehearsals. You should be able to analyze scripts and specifications to develop appropriate soundtracks for each project.
To be successful as a Composer, you should have a firm grasp of structure and be able to incorporate musical patterns in your own work. Outstanding candidates create memorable music and are able to convey powerful emotions in their compositions.
- Analyzing projects and specifications and liaising with directors and other stakeholders to gather information prior to the composition process.
- Composing, recording, and performing musical scores and arrangements that complement television shows, commercials, movies, theatre productions, and video games.
- Attending rehearsals or studio sessions and providing creative input to actors, musicians, and directors.
- Expanding knowledge of musical equipment, software packages, and technical recordings.
- Scheduling meetings with directors and producers to discuss contract and project requirements.
- Receiving feedback and completing composition revisions.
- Communicating any issues to the producer or director in a timely manner.
- Traveling out to meet clients or relocating for the duration of the project.
- Networking with other industry professionals and conducting research on classical as well as modern compositions.
- Regularly attending the theatre to gain new ideas and inspiration.
- Bachelor’s degree in Music Composition, Music Theory, or similar.
- Master’s degree preferable.
- A portfolio of existing work would be a plus.
- Competence in one or more instruments.
- Singing ability might be advantageous.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to follow directions and collaborate with others.
- Disciplined with excellent time management skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources