Youth Counselor Job Description Template
We are looking for a compassionate and mature youth counselor to serve children in our community through mentorship and finding resources they may need. The youth counselor is responsible for helping children gain access to the services they need while allowing them to feel safe and supported.
To be successful as a youth counselor, you must be able to gain a child's trust while being also able to approach relevant authorities about potential safety risks. An excellent youth counselor can balance providing support by offering valuable and necessary life lessons.
Youth Counselor Responsibilities:
- Providing responsible and helpful advice.
- Making yourself available to the children whenever they are in need.
- Providing a reliable presence in the life of children who may feel otherwise abandoned.
- Educating children about social issues like substance abuse and domestic violence.
- Motivating youth to achieve academically and/or extra-murally.
- Contacting the authorities if you suspect that the child is at risk in their home.
Youth Counselor Requirements:
- A degree in child psychology or a similar field is preferred.
- Experience with at-risk youth (either personally or professionally) is an advantage.
- A passion for helping children to succeed.
- A calm and reassuring demeanor.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- No prior criminal offenses.
- Ability to offer good advice in difficult circumstances.
- Previous experience in demonstrating sound judgement when appropriate authorities need to be contacted.