Guidance Counselors are certified professionals employed by schools or academic institutions to assist and advise students about academic and personal decisions. They provide private counseling to students, assess the ability and potential in students, and coordinate with fellow professionals on student matters.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Guidance Counselor Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a Guidance Counselor with outstanding assessment and listening skills. Guidance Counselors are expected to display empathy and sound decision-making with great organizational and motivational skills.
To ensure success, Guidance Counselors should be accessible and authentic with excellent communication skills and a profound interest in helping students to attain their academic and career goals. Top candidates will display natural leadership qualities with remarkable problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
Guidance Counselor Responsibilities:
Conduct individual and group counseling sessions to advise and assist students with academic and vocational development.
Evaluate students’ attributes and assist them in realizing their objectives.
- Develop and implement counseling strategies with contemporary methods of mentoring.
- Identify behavioral problems and act appropriately to remedy the situation.
- Pay attention to societal and cultural differences in all student matters.
- Assess the development of students and highlight the sense of accomplishment.
- Complete evaluations, analyze results and provide purposeful feedback.
- Cooperate with parents, academic staff and external partners.
- Arrange and schedule orientation programs and internships.
- Advertise facilities and study programs to potential students.
- Implement and facilitate educational and training workshops for academic staff.
Guidance Counselor Requirements:
- Bachelors degree in Counseling or related (essential).
- Two years of work experience as a counselor in an academic environment.
- Analytical thinker with strong problem-solving and conflict-resolution skills.
- Motivational leader who displays sound judgment and attention to detail.
- Detail-oriented with excellent time-management skills.
- Confident interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Perceptive intuition and decision-making skills.
- Remarkable professionalism and solid work ethic.
- Intermediate IT skills.