Veterinary Technicians work for veterinary practices, hospitals, zoos and research laboratories where they draw blood, assist with medical procedures and administer medications. Also known as Licensed Veterinary Technician or LVT.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Veterinary Technician Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a competent Veterinary Technician to provide compassionate patient care and positive client experiences. The Veterinary Technician will provide critical care nursing, triage patients, coordinate their care, and provide them with care before and after surgery by taking their vitals, performing phlebotomy duties, and providing intramuscular (IM), intravenous (IV) and subcutaneous (SQ) injections. You will discuss treatments and disease processes with clients, systematize and track patient diagnostics, and communicate with clients, veterinarians and pharmacies regarding patients' needs.
To ensure success in this position, you need to be meticulous and compassionate to provide patients with the highest level of care. Preferred applicants are motivated, empathetic and detail-oriented.
Veterinary Technician Responsibilities:
- Triaging patients and taking their vitals, and acquiring patient history and other information from clients.
- Assisting with diagnostic procedures.
- Discussing treatment plans and estimates, and payment options with clients.
- Acquiring cephalic, saphenous and jugular blood samples.
- Inserting IV catheters, and monitoring anesthesia, ventilators and fluid therapy.
- Operating autoclaves and Anprolene sterilizers.
- Processing specimens in in-house laboratory and submitting specimens to outside laboratories.
- Calculating medication dosages, and providing dosage instructions for clients.
- Entering patients' service charges into computer database and keeping accurate patient records.
- Explaining patient instructions to clients and sharing educational materials.
Veterinary Technician Requirements:
- Associate’s degree or higher in veterinary technology from an accredited school.
- 2+ years work experience as Veterinary Technician.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong affinity for animals.
- Outstanding people skills.
- Ability to multitask in a dynamic environment.
- Undeterred by being scratched and bitten by patients.
- Team player.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources