A Trauma Surgeon is a highly trained and specialized medical care professional who performs emergency surgeries on patients suffering from acute injuries and illnesses. The Trauma Surgeon will typically work in emergency rooms, performing operations on patients who have sustained critical injuries.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Trauma Surgeon Job Description Template
We are looking for a highly skilled Trauma Surgeon to join our team in examining, diagnosing, and surgically treating critically injured patients. The Trauma Surgeon's responsibilities include performing emergency surgeries and diagnostic tests, and prescribing pre and post-operative medications and antibiotics. As a Trauma Surgeon, you will treat severe, life-threatening, penetrating, or blunt force injuries sustained by patients.
To be a successful Trauma Surgeon, you should be highly skilled and trained, able to work with a variety of tools, such as surgical clamps, surgical lasers, and medical software. You should also be willing to work long, erratic shifts, typically at night when many traumatic injuries occur, and conduct surgeries under severe time constraints.
Trauma Surgeon Responsibilities:
- Examining patients, making initial assessments, and questioning patients and family members on complaints, symptoms, and medical history.
- Conducting diagnostic tests and determining which instruments and methods of surgery would be most successful.
- Performing emergency procedures, such as endotracheal tube intubation, pericardiocentesis, and ultrasonographic evaluations.
- Performing operations on critical, often multiple, injuries to different organ systems.
- Using a variety of medical tools, such as surgical clamps, lasers, and medical software.
- Working with other specialized Surgeons to stabilize patients in critical condition.
- Coordinating Nurses, Assistants, Anesthesiologists, specialists, and other medical staff required for surgery.
- Providing in-service training on new surgical technology.
- Remaining up-to-date on surgical techniques by reading medical journals and attending medical conferences.
Trauma Surgeon Requirements:
- A Medical degree and the successful completion of a residency and fellowship in Trauma and Critical Care.
- A state license and certification to practice medicine.
- Experience as a Trauma Surgeon may be advantageous.
- The ability to work under severe time constraints, deal with psychological pressures and lack of sleep, and work in a high-stress and unpredictable environment.
- The ability to remain calm and focused under pressure.
- Excellent manual dexterity, hand-eye coordination, and the ability to focus on a single task for long periods of time.
- Strong critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Strong analytical, leadership, and decision-making skills.
- Good patient service and communication skills.
- The flexibility to work long, erratic shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays, and to remain on-call for emergencies.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources