General Surgeon Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a general surgeon with specialist medical and surgical knowledge, and excellent decision-making skills. General surgeons are expected to be emotionally resilient with the ability to communicate effectively and the physical stamina to cope with the demands of performing surgery.
To ensure success, general surgeons should have fantastic organizational skills and the ability to lead and manage a team effectively while working under pressure. Top candidates will have a high degree of manual dexterity, good hand-eye coordination, and excellent visuospatial awareness.
General Surgeon Responsibilities:
- Examining patients and making diagnoses to determine the need for surgery.
- Reviewing patients' medical history and planning the best procedure for treatment.
- Evaluating and advising patients on the risk involved with having surgery.
- Performing surgical procedures to prevent or correct injury, disease, deformities, and patient function while adhering to regulatory and ethical protocols.
- Following established surgical techniques during surgery.
- Prescribing preoperative and postoperative treatments and procedures.
- Ensuring sterility in the operating room, and all equipment and instruments.
- Directing and coordinating activities of hospital staff for proper patient care.
- Overseeing all treatments prior to and post-surgery, and identifying associated risks.
- Maintaining the highest regard for patient dignity and observing the precepts of the American Hospital Associations Bill of Rights for patients.
- Planning and executing disease/illness prevention and health promotion programs.
- Coordinating follow-up meetings with patients and monitoring their health condition after surgery or treatment.
- Conducting research to develop and test surgical techniques in order to improve procedures and surgery.
General Surgeon Requirements:
- Degree in medicine (essential).
- Certification through the American Board of Medical Specialties (essential).
- 5 years of residency training in General Surgery (essential).
- Current state medical license (essential).
- Completed U.S. Medical Licensing Examination (essential).
- 3 years of experience practicing as a General Surgeon.
- Fantastic manual dexterity, hand-eye coordination, and visuospatial awareness.
- Superb organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent decision-making skills and communication.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Emotionally resilient with the ability to make patients feel at ease.
- Great management and leadership skills.