Trailer Mechanic Job Description Template
We are searching for an experienced trailer mechanic to join our team and take on the responsibilities of inspecting and maintaining the mechanical and electrical parts of our trailers. The responsibilities of the trailer mechanic include servicing and repairing trailer parts, compiling inspection reports, and ensuring that trailers are roadworthy.
To be successful as a trailer mechanic, you should demonstrate strong communication and interpersonal skills. The best trailer mechanics possess expert knowledge of trailer vehicle parts and are able to easily apply this knowledge in their day-to-day tasks.
Trailer Mechanic Responsibilities:
- Inspecting, troubleshooting, and repairing semi-truck and trailer bodies, systems, and components.
- Performing preventative maintenance measures on semi-trucks and trailers.
- Assembling and dissembling vehicle engines and cleaning the fuel tanks.
- Maintaining hubs and axles and adjusting or replacing them when required.
- Inspecting, servicing, and replacing trailer parts, including tires.
- Checking and repairing the brake, electrical, and hydraulic systems.
- Testing all systems and equipment for performance issues.
- Ensuring that trailers meet the U.S. Department of Transportation's road safety requirements.
- Compiling inspection reports, documenting repairs, and reporting all findings to management.
- Responding as soon as possible to client queries.
Trailer Mechanic Requirements:
- National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification.
- An Associate's degree in heavy truck technology.
- A minimum of 1 year experience as a trailer mechanic.
- A valid driver's license.
- In-depth knowledge of vehicle systems, such as hydraulics, air breaks, and electrical systems.
- Extensive experience with vehicle diagnostic equipment.
- Exceptional understanding of mechanical and technical information.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Manual dexterity, experience with hand tools, and physical strength.