Diesel Mechanic Interview Questions:
1. What do you consider the most important skills a diesel mechanic should possess?
Candidates should cite an analytic mindset and the ability to understand technical documentation such as design blueprints and instructional manuals as necessary skills for the position. They should acknowledge that different engines might have different design intricacies, which make attention to detail critical.
2. Describe a diesel engine reconditioning process. What does it consist of?
This question tests the technical expertise of a candidate. Candidates should list the repairing or replacing of pistons, valves, gears and bearings as essential parts of the reconditioning process.
3. Describe an experience in which you implemented a new technology to solve a mechanical issue. What did you do?
Candidates should describe how they solved a problem by utilizing new technologies. Look for a candidate's creative use of technology on the job.
4. Describe an experience where you erred in a diagnostic analysis. How did you rectify your error?
Candidates should acknowledge the importance of diligence in their work and detail the steps they take to prevent any oversight from occurring. Look for stories where candidates erred, remedied the situation and learned a valuable lesson from it.
5. A client is unhappy with your services. How do you respond?
Candidates should acknowledge the importance of having good interpersonal and communicative skills when dealing with clients. In cases of unhappy customers, candidates should always remain level-headed, professional and assure them of their capacity to meet their needs.