Social Studies Teachers help pupils learn about history, geography, politics, economics, and culture. They typically integrate current events into their lessons and also facilitate healthy debates and engaging classroom discussions. Social Studies teachers need to be culturally sensitive and create a classroom where everyone is respected.
Social Studies Teacher Job Description Template
We are searching for an energetic Social Studies Teacher to join our faculty. The Social Studies Teacher’s responsibilities include teaching elements of history, geography, politics, economics, religion, and culture to pupils. You should keep abreast of current events and initiate spirited, respectful debates amongst students. You will also be required to set and grade various assessments.
To be successful as a Social Studies Teacher, you should demonstrate passion and commitment to your discipline. Outstanding candidates are able to multitask, source appropriate learning material, and also present their opinion to the class without making any student feel threatened for holding a different view.
Social Studies Teacher Responsibilities:
- Setting up schedules, lesson plans, and selecting learning material and resources that will help achieve curriculum objectives.
- Analyzing needs, interests, strengths, and weaknesses of students, and developing lesson plans in accordance with these factors.
- Monitoring progress and discipline, and keeping parents and school counselors informed of learners who need extra support.
- Establishing classroom and debating rules, and ensuring all students obey these rules.
- Requesting appropriate textbooks and learning aids.
- Organizing field trips and ensuring permission slips are handed out and signed in a timely manner.
- Participating in school events and acting as a chaperone when required.
- Attending meetings, staff training, conferences, and other ongoing learning programs.
- Informing students of learning opportunities and preparing them for formal debates and other events.
Social Studies Teacher Requirements:
- Degree in Education, History, Geography, or a related discipline.
- Master’s degree preferable.
- Relevant certification or license may be required.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and debating skills.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Strong multitasking abilities and sound knowledge of current events.
- Strong cultural sensitivity.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources