Physician Assistant Job Description Template
We are looking for a physician assistant to be responsible for examining patients, prescribing medicines, and ordering diagnostic tests. The physician assistant will work under the supervision of the physician or surgeon but may work independently, consulting with physicians when necessary. You should have experience in all areas of medicine but may specialize in an area such as psychiatry, pediatrics, dermatology, or surgery.
To be a successful physician assistant, you should be formally educated to examine patients, diagnose injuries and illnesses, and provide treatment. You should demonstrate strong attention to detail, as well as excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Physician Assistant Responsibilities:
- Interviewing, examining, and diagnosing patients' injuries and illnesses.
- Ordering and interpreting diagnostic tests.
- Prescribing medications and suggesting lifestyle changes.
- Stitching wounds, setting bones, assisting in surgeries, and administering immunizations.
- Reviewing and maintaining patients' medical histories and records and recording patients' progress.
- Providing documentation for insurance companies.
- Educating and counseling patients and their families.
- Researching the latest treatments, innovations, advances, and trends in the medical industry.
- Conducting or participating in outreach programs, making house calls, and visiting nursing homes to treat patients.
Physician Assistant Requirements:
- A master's degree in physician assistant education.
- Clinical training experience, and the willingness to complete 100 hours of continuing education every two years to maintain certification.
- A state license to practice medicine.
- Strong analytical and technical skills.
- Detail oriented with good problem-solving skills.
- Excellent team working, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to treat patients with compassion and empathy.