Patient Account Representative Job Description Template
We are looking to hire an efficient patient account representative to handle all billing matters and verify medical insurance coverage for various patient treatments. The patient account representative’s responsibilities include liaising with medical insurance providers to resolve payment issues, assisting patients in understanding medical insurance benefits, and processing patient refunds. You should also ensure that patients fulfill their contractual obligations with respect to payment plans.
To be successful as a patient account representative, you should be detail-oriented and knowledgeable of medical terminology and billing. Ultimately, an outstanding patient account representative should demonstrate exceptional communication skills and convince patients to settle their accounts in a timely manner.
Patient Account Representative Responsibilities:
- Maintaining patient records, which includes detailing patient treatments and diagnoses as well as updating payment and medical insurance information.
- Processing patient payments and refunds.
- Identifying medical coding mistakes, typing errors, as well as patient underpayments or overpayments and rectifying them accordingly.
- Creating suitable payment plans for patients based on their monthly income and financial obligations.
- Communicating with medical insurance providers to verify whether patient treatments will be covered.
- Answering patients’ questions regarding unsettled medical bills, reimbursements, and billing discrepancies.
- Contacting patients through email, written correspondence, or telephone to inform them of overdue balances.
- Contacting collection agencies or attorneys to initiate the payment collection process in cases of delinquent accounts.
Patient Account Representative Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Completion of a postsecondary education program in Medical Office Administration is preferred.
- Certified Patient Account Specialist (CPAS) or Certified Patient Account Technician (CPAT) accreditation is advantageous.
- Sound knowledge of medical terminology and billing.
- Proven experience working as a Patient Account Representative.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Exceptional customer service skills.