Medical Coders work for healthcare facilities where they convert patients' information to standardized codes, which are used on documentation for healthcare insurance claims and for databases. Medical Coders assist practitioners to receive reimbursement from healthcare insurance companies.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Medical Coder Job Description Template
We are looking to recruit a competent Medical Coder to assist us with coding medical documentation for insurance claims and for our databases. The Medical Coder will assign required Current Procedural Terminology (CPT), Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS), International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-10-CM) and American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) codes. You will assign Ambulatory Payment Classifications (APC) or Diagnosis-related group ( DRG ) codes.
To ensure success you need to make judicious decisions on which codes to assign in each instance, and function to a high level of accuracy. Top applicants are motivated, detail-oriented and have outstanding people skills.
Medical Coder Responsibilities:
- Extracting relevant information from patient records.
- Liaising with physicians and other parties to clarify information.
- Examining documents for missing information.
- Assigning CPT, HCPCS, ICD-10-CM and ASA codes.
- Assigning APC and DRG codes.
- Ensuring documents are grammatically correct and free from typing errors.
- Performing chart audits.
- Advising and training physicians and staff on medical coding.
- Informing supervisor of issues with equipment and computer program.
- Ensuring compliance with medical coding policies and guidelines.
Medical Coder Requirements:
- High School Diploma, GED, or suitable equivalent.
- 2+ years work experience as Medical Coder.
- American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) certification.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong people skills.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information.