Medical Coder Job Description Template
We are looking to recruit a competent medical coder to assist us with coding medical documentation for insurance claims and for our databases. The medical coder will assign required Current Procedural Terminology (CPT), Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS), International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-10-CM), and American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) codes. You will assign Ambulatory Payment Classifications (APC) or Diagnosis-related group ( DRG ) codes.
To ensure success you need to make judicious decisions on which codes to assign in each instance, and function to a high level of accuracy. Top applicants are motivated, detail-oriented, and have outstanding people skills.
Medical Coder Responsibilities:
- Extracting relevant information from patient records.
- Liaising with physicians and other parties to clarify information.
- Examining documents for missing information.
- Assigning CPT, HCPCS, ICD-10-CM, and ASA codes.
- Assigning APC and DRG codes.
- Ensuring documents are grammatically correct and free from typing errors.
- Performing chart audits.
- Advising and training physicians and staff on medical coding.
- Informing supervisor of issues with equipment and computer program.
- Ensuring compliance with medical coding policies and guidelines.
Medical Coder Requirements:
- High school diploma, GED, or suitable equivalent.
- 2+ years of work experience as a medical coder.
- American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) certification.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong people skills.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of information.