Monitor Technicians, also known as EKG Technicians or Cardiac Monitor Technicians, observe heartbeats and electrocardiograms (EKGs) to assist with the interpretation and diagnosis of conditions related to the heart. They typically work day and night shifts and report directly to a Lead Nurse or Doctor.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Monitor Technician Job Description Template
We are looking for a detail-oriented individual to join our team as a Monitor Technician. The responsibilities of the Monitor Technician include examining heartbeat patterns, noting heartbeat irregularities in patient files, ensuring that heart monitors are functioning correctly, and reporting to the medical staff in charge of the patients.
To be a successful Monitor Technician, you should have excellent analytical and technical skills. Ultimately, a top-notch Monitor Technician should have a strong working knowledge of medical equipment and software, as well as good communication skills when interacting with patients.
Monitor Technician Responsibilities:
- Observing and interpreting patients' heart monitors and checking for abnormalities, including irregular heartbeats, arrhythmias, and cardiac arrest.
- Attaching electrodes to patients' bodies and recording electrical impulses from the heart to perform EKGs.
- Using hospital equipment and medical technology to perform various tests on patients' hearts, such as stress tests.
- Recognizing and responding to any abnormal conditions in patients' heartbeats.
- Interpreting test results and reporting any changes in heart readings or EKGs to the Doctor or Nurse in charge of the affected patient.
- Updating patients' records with all readings taken from the heart monitors or EKGs.
- Cleaning and maintaining heart monitors and EKG machines.
- Reporting any necessary equipment repairs in a timely manner.
- Assisting with the training of new staff in medical monitoring systems.
- Delivering quality patient care services.
Monitor Technician Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED.
- An EKG or Monitor Technician Associate's degree, diploma, or certification may be advantageous.
- A minimum of 1 year's experience in Medical Monitoring or a related field.
- CPR certification.
- The ability to remain calm in stressful environments.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent technical skills for hospital equipment and medical software.
- Great communication and multi-tasking skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources