Sonographer Job Description Template
We are looking for a dedicated sonographer to assist our doctors with diagnosing and monitoring various conditions, such as pregnancy, and diseases, such as cancer. The sonographer works directly with patients and uses sonographic equipment to record images of the motion, shape, and composition of blood, organs, tissues, and bodily masses as well as looking at unborn fetuses in prenatal care.
To be successful as a sonographer, you should have excellent patient service and communication skills, as well as good eyesight and attention to detail. You should have good technical skills, as well as sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Explaining sonographic procedures to patients, answering questions, preparing patients by applying the gel to the skin, and positioning the patients on the table.
- Ensuring clear images for diagnostic purposes and making adjustments to the sonographic equipment when necessary.
- Selecting the appropriate settings and adjusting the patients' positions accordingly.
- Monitoring and caring for patients to ensure their safety and comfort during the procedures.
- Selecting and examining images, looking for differences between healthy and pathological areas, and determining if the scope of the exam should be extended, based on preliminary findings.
- Presenting the sonograms and preliminary findings to the Physicians.
- Completing the appropriate documentation and maintaining patients' histories and medical records.
- Assisting Physicians and the healthcare teams during invasive procedures.
- Maintaining and cleaning the sonographic equipment.
- Performing medical procedures, such as administering oxygen, taking vital signs, and giving emergency treatments.
- An associate's or bachelor's degree in sonography.
- An industry certification and state license may be advantageous.
- Strong technical, communication, interpersonal, and patient service skills.
- The ability to explain technical terms in a clear and understandable way.
- Good eyesight and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical, judgment, and decision-making skills.