Medical-surgical nurses are registered nurses who provide care for primarily adult patients before and after surgical procedures. They coordinate healthcare plans with medical professionals, administer medications, and educate patients on surgical procedures. They may be employed at hospitals, clinics, physicians' offices, or care facilities.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Medical-Surgical Nurse Job Description Template
We are seeking a highly capable medical-surgical nurse to join our team. In this role, you will be providing bedside care for pre- and post-surgery patients, monitoring vital signs, and administering prescribed medications.
To ensure success, medical-surgical nurses should possess extensive knowledge of various health conditions and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. An outstanding medical-surgical nurse will be someone whose expertise translates into exceptional patient care.
Medical-Surgical Nurse Responsibilities:
- Assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating patient care plans in consultation with healthcare professionals.
- Evaluating medical information, as well as providing direct and individualized bedside nursing care to pre- and post-surgery patients.
- Preparing, administering, and recording prescribed medications.
- Changing dressings, inserting catheters, and starting IVs.
- Adjusting specialized medical equipment as needed, as well as interpreting and recording measurements.
- Monitoring patients' vitals and reporting adverse reactions to medications in a timely manner.
- Collaborating on discharge planning with the healthcare team.
- Answering questions and educating patients and their families on surgical procedures and post-surgery care.
- Maintaining and updating patient files, medical charts, and health records.
- Adhering to best nursing practices, standards, and protocols.
Medical-Surgical Nurse Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in nursing.
- Certified MS-RN preferred.
- State-approved nursing licensure.
- At least two years' experience as a medical-surgical nurse in a similar facility.
- Competency in electronic patient management systems such as e-MDs Chart and Mediexcel.
- Extensive experience in monitoring a broad range of medical conditions.
- In-depth knowledge of best practices in medical-surgical nursing.
- Exceptional analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Superb interpersonal, communication, and collaboration abilities.
- Availability to work shifts that rotate between days, nights, weekends, and public holidays.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources