Mail sorters, also called mail handlers or mail processors, are responsible for sorting, reviewing, and processing inbound mail for distribution. They work for corporations, shipping companies, or state postal services to organize mail both manually and with mail processing machines to ensure that packages are delivered correctly.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Mail Sorter Job Description Template
We are seeking a detail-oriented mail sorter to organize and process the incoming and outgoing mail for our company. In this role, you will be required to receive incoming mail, inspect packages, and prepare mail for distribution. You will also be required to operate the mail processing machines and manage the inventory of the mailroom.
To ensure success as a mail sorter, you should be mechanically minded and enjoy working with your hands. An outstanding mail sorter should be highly organized and demonstrate precision in their work.
Mail Sorter Responsibilities:
- Receiving incoming mail bins and sorting mail into trays for processing.
- Reviewing dates, addresses, barcodes, and other postage information for all outbound mail.
- Inspecting mail for tampering, damage, and suspicious contents.
- Sorting and categorizing mail by hand and operating mail processing machines and postage meters.
- Preparing mail for distribution through correct categorization and labeling.
- Redirecting mislabeled or illegible mail for returns.
- Scanning packages for tracking and logging, and updating mail database records.
- Ensuring that the mail processing machines and equipment are maintained.
- Reporting any issues with the mail or machinery to the supervisor.
- Monitoring mailroom inventory levels and informing supervisors when supplies are low.
Mail Sorter Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Previous mailroom experience is preferred.
- Proficiency with mail processing machines and equipment such as mail meters.
- Basic computer skills and proficiency in programs such as MS Word and Excel.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Manual dexterity.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Physically fit and able to stand for long periods of time, operate mail processing machinery, and lift heavy mail bins.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources