Library Assistants aid librarians in the management and operation of a library. Their primary duties include helping customers locate books, checking books in and out at the front desk and shelving books according to their categorization.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Library Assistant Job Description Template
We are looking for highly organized candidates with excellent interpersonal skills for the position of Library Assistant. Library Assistants are responsible for sorting and shelving books according to their categorization, assisting customers with internet access and ensuring their technical needs are met. They also manage inquiries over the counter, via email or telephone, among other duties.
Furthermore, Library Assistants need to attend to any disruptions or disturbances in the library, requiring confidence and excellent communicative skill.
Library Assistant Responsibilities:
- Helping customers locate books.
- Helping customers find material online.
- Checking books in and out at the front desk.
- Sorting and shelving books according to their categorization.
- Register new customers and maintaining and updating customer profiles.
- Maintaining records of books taken out and books brought back.
- Cataloging new arrivals.
- Assisting customers with internet access and ensuring their technical needs are met.
- Organizing the repair of damaged books.
- Inspecting the condition of books before and after check-out to ascertain any damage on behalf of the customer.
- Managing inquiries over the counter and via email or telephone.
- Assisting with library events and reading sessions.
- Managing the payment of fines.
- Cataloging audio-visual material and other mediums.
- Settling any disruptions or disturbances in the library.
Library Assistant Requirements:
- High school diploma.
- Some experience in a customer service role.
- Basic computer literacy.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- Attention to detail and good problem solving ability.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources