Journalist Job Description Template
We are on the lookout for a passionate journalist to join our newsroom department. In addition to being a natural storyteller, the successful applicant must be able to demonstrate an ability to write investigative articles, feature stories, and analytical pieces.
The top candidate for this job should possess talent and enthusiasm for digging out the real story and uncovering the truth. To excel in this role, you should be friendly, self-motivated, and have exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Assessing leads and pitching captivating story ideas to editors.
- Ensuring that you meet all regular and recurring deadlines.
- Reviewing and editing work for editorial approval.
- Using all your findings to prepare clean, concise, and factual articles.
- Adhering to the ethical code of the profession.
- Keeping records of all notes, interviews, and audio files.
- Creating trustworthy relationships with contacts and sources for use in future research.
- Keeping up-to-date on the latest news developments by attending events, studying different papers, opinion pieces, and social media.
- Collecting, verifying, and deciphering data.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English, or a relevant field.
- Minimum of 2 years working experience as a journalist or reporter.
- Capable of maintaining an ethical and objective standard in reporting.
- Ability to meet deadlines and accurately fact-check information.
- Excellent observation and judgment skills.
- Superb communication and networking skills, along with an aptitude to effectively extract information.