Journalist Job Description Template:
We are on the lookout for a passionate Journalist to join our newsroom department. In addition to being a natural storyteller, the successful applicant must be able to demonstrate an ability to write investigative articles, feature stories, and analytical pieces.
The fearless candidates for this job should possess a talent and enthusiasm for digging out the real stories and uncovering the truth. To excel in this role, you should be friendly, self-motivated, and have exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Assess leads and pitch captivating story ideas to editors.
- Ensure that you meet all regular and recurring deadlines.
- Review and edit work for editorial approval.
- Use all your findings to prepare clean, concise and factual articles.
- Adhere to the ethical code of the profession.
- Keep records off all notes, interviews, and audio files.
- Create trustworthy relationships with contacts and sources for use in future research.
- Keep up-to-date on the latest news developments by attending events, studying different papers, opinion pieces, and social media.
- Collect, verify and decipher data.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, English or relevant field.
- Minimum of 2 years’ working experience as a journalist or reporter.
- Capable of maintaining an ethical and objective standard in reporting.
- Ability to meet deadlines and accurately fact-check information.
- Excellent observation and judgment skills.
- Superb communication and networking skills, along with an aptitude to effectively extract information.