A hostess or host greets customers as they enter a restaurant, takes their reservation or puts them on a waiting list, gives them menus and shows them to their seat. They may also handle phone calls and customer queries about the restaurant and menu, and assist various restaurant staff when necessary.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Hostess Job Description Template
We are a busy restaurant and have an open role for Hostess. You will greet guests as they enter and show them to their table or waiting area. You will also engage with guests to ensure their meal is as good as it should be. To do well in this role you should be comfortable standing for long periods and managing a very busy shift.
- Greeting guests as they enter, and putting them on a waiting list as necessary.
- Providing guests with menus and answering any initial questions.
- Seating guests at tables or in waiting areas.
- Assigning guests to tables they prefer, while keeping table rotation in mind so that servers receive the right number of customers.
- Engaging with guests to ensure they're happy with food and service.
- Responding to complaints and helping to resolve them.
- Answering phone calls, taking reservations and answering questions.
- A knowledge of the menu.
- Helping out with other positions in the restaurant as needed.
- Providing great customer service.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Ability to provide top notch customer service in a fast-paced environment.
- A positive attitude and ability work well under pressure with all restaurant staff.
- Does high-quality work while unsupervised.
- Able to work in a standing position for long periods of time.
- Able to safely lift and easily maneuver trays of food when necessary.
- Willing to follow instructions and ask questions for clarification if needed.
- Able to handle money accurately and operate a point-of-sale system.
- Able to work in a busy restaurant environment.
- Restaurant experience a plus.
What does a hostess do?
A hostess or host greets customers as they enter a restaurant, takes and confirms reservations, and shows customers to their table. They may also support other staff members by assisting with bussing or serving duties. Add your hostess job duties to our hostess job description example to create a job listing and start attracting top talent today.
Can I edit your hostess position description?
When you advertise a hostess job, you should provide applicants with details about the job at your business. Feel free to edit any section of our restaurant hostess job description sample to get a job listing that meets the needs of your business.
What information should I include when I post a hostess job?
Your restaurant hostess job description should give applicants information about the qualities and qualifications you’re looking for and the duties they’ll be expected to handle. Customize the hostess duties and responsibilities to help candidates better understand your expectations. Explain your hostess requirements so candidates know what you’re looking for in your next hire. Add your details to our hostess occupation description to get started.
Do you have interview questions for a hostess or host?
We have interview questions to go with all of our job descriptions.
After you have created a host or hostess job description, you may review our hostess interview questions.