A restaurant server takes orders, answers questions about the menu and food, sells the restaurant's food and drinks, takes payment, communicates orders with the kitchen staff, seats customers, and helps with customer service and cleaning. Also known as a waiter or waitress.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Server Job Description Template
We are looking for a Server who will be responsible for taking orders from and serving food to customers. Duties will mostly include taking food and drink orders and writing them down on order slips, and ensuring that tables are served properly and that all payments are collected.
To succeed in this role, you will need to have a positive attitude and ability work well under pressure with bussers, cooks and other staff. Previous work experience involving customer service in a fast-paced environment is greatly desired.
- Take food and drink orders from customers accurately and with a positive attitude.
- Write patrons' food orders on order slips, memorize orders, or enter orders into computers for transmittal to kitchen staff.
- Engage with customers in a friendly manner.
- Knowledge of the menu, with the ability to make suggestions.
- Ensure tables are enjoying their meals and take action to correct any problems.
- Collect payments from tables.
- Prepare checks that itemize and total meal costs and sales taxes.
- Help food preparation staff when necessary.
- Experience providing excellent customer service in a fast-paced environment.
- A positive attitude and ability work well under pressure with bussers, cooks and other staff.
- Able to perform high-quality work while unsupervised.
- Able to handle money accurately and operate a point-of-sale system.
- High school diploma.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced work environment and deliver orders in a timely manner.
What tasks does a server do?
Servers assist restaurant patrons by answering their questions, taking their orders, and delivering food and beverages to their tables. Create a list of server duties and responsibilities by adding your details to our server position job description to create a custom job listing.
May I customize your restaurant server job description sample?
When you advertise a server job using our template, we encourage you to make it your own. Provide as many additional details about the duties and responsibilities of a server at your restaurant as you'd like to create a server position description that works for your business.
What are some other words for server?
The job title of a server may vary from business to business. Servers may also be known as wait staff, waiters, or waitresses. Include each of these terms in your ad when you post a server position to make it easier for applicants to find your listing.
What should I include in my restaurant help wanted ads?
As you review our serving staff job description sample and create an ad for your open server position, think about the duties and responsibilities of a server at your business. Feel free to customize our server template to ensure it accurately explains your business’ needs. Simply add the necessary duties and details to our server job description template to create a unique and informative job listing for the server position at your restaurant.
Do you have interview questions for servers?
We have interview questions to go with all of our job descriptions.
After you have reviewed the restaurant server job description sample and created an advertisement for your business, take a look at our server interview questions.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources