Bartenders mix, garnish and serve beverages and food to customers. They may also be known as barkeeps or mixologists.
Bartender Job Description Template
We are looking for a professional, high-energy Bartender with excellent communication skills serve classical cocktails and exciting new beverages to our customers. The Bartender will greet customers, learn about their preferences, answer questions, recommend menu items, and prepare and serve beverages and food. You will also upsell items, create recipes, utilize proper equipment and ingredients, and handle basic cleaning duties.
To succeed as a Bartender, you should have a neat appearance and engaging, friendly personality. You should be efficient, observant, knowledgeable, and personable.
- Welcoming customers, reading and listening to people to determine beverage preferences, making recommendations, and taking drink orders.
- Planning drink menus and informing customers about new beverages and specials.
- Selecting and mixing ingredients, garnishing glasses, and serving beverages to customers.
- Checking identification to ensure customers are the legal age to purchase alcohol.
- Taking inventory and ordering supplies to ensure bar and tables are well-stocked.
- Adhering to all food safety and quality regulations.
- Handling cash, credit, and debit card transactions, ensuring charges are accurate and returning correct change to patrons, balancing the cash register.
- Maintaining a clean work and dining area by removing trash, cleaning tables, and washing glasses, utensils, and equipment.
- Developing new cocktail recipes.
- High School Diploma.
- Additional education, training, certificates, or experience may be required.
- Meets state minimum age to serve alcohol.
- Availability to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Positive, engaging personality and professional appearance.
- Basic math and computer skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong task and time management abilities.
- Eye for detail and understanding of drink mixing tools and techniques.
- Ability to stand, walk, bend, etc for extended periods, and lift up to 25 lbs.
What are the duties of a bartender?
Bartenders prepare and serve beverages and food to customers. They mix and garnish cocktails and non-alcoholic beverages and often follow or create cocktail recipes. Add your bartender job duties to our bartender job description sample to create a custom job listing for your business.
What are the requirements to be a bartender and how can I include them in my job listing?
In general, bartenders must handle basic cleaning duties, learn or create recipes for cocktails, and possess strong people skills. Candidates should be observant, detail-oriented, and courteous while ensuring customers have a great time. They will also have to be the minimum age to serve in your state. Since the age to serve varies by state, you should check your local laws to determine the requirements in your area.
When you advertise a bartender job ad, you should focus on the bartender qualifications your company needs. Help potential candidates understand the bartender duties and responsibilities they’ll be expected to handle and provide details about the skills and traits you’re looking for in your next hire. Customize our bartender work description to let candidates know more about how to succeed at your business.
What do you call a bartender? Is there a professional name for bartenders?
The job title for a bartender may vary between businesses. Alternate job titles for this position include mixologist, barman, or barkeep. Try using a few of these job titles when you post a bartender job to help more applicants find your listing.
Can I edit your bartender description?
Feel free to customize any section of our bartending job description to get a job listing that works for your business.
Do you have interview questions for a bartender?
We have interview questions to go with all of our job descriptions.
After you have created a bartender position description, take some time to review our bartender interview questions.