Bar Managers keep their bars running smoothly by handling day-to-day operations, managing resources and employees, and creating a safe, fun environment for staff and patrons. These professionals may also be known as Pub Managers.
Bar Manager Job Description Template
We are searching for a committed, proactive Bar Manager who would enjoy work in an exciting, fast-paced environment. The Bar Manager will promote and grow the business, hire and train waitstaff, and ensure that patrons are receiving excellent drinks, food, and service. You will also manage inventory and resources, plan promotional events, ensure that quality and safety controls are followed, maintain current licenses and update vendor contracts, create schedules, and set business objectives to increase profits and maximize customer satisfaction. You should also be able to work with diverse personalities and diffuse tense situations.
In order to succeed as a Bar Manager, you should be observant and have the ability to think critically and efficiently. You should be a skilled communicator with excellent problem solving, observation, and interpersonal skills.
Bar Manager Responsibilities:
- Manage the business aspects of the bar, such as keeping a current liquor license, negotiating supplier contracts, taking inventory and reordering supplies, managing budgets, and setting goals.
- Hiring and training staff to provide excellent service to patrons.
- Creating effective schedules and quickly resolving conflicts to ensure that bar is well staffed during peak hours.
- Setting and enforcing quality and safety controls.
- Ensuring licenses are updated and in line with current legislation.
- Working with diverse personalities both on the staff and patrons.
- Planning and taking part in promotional events.
- Diffusing tense situations between patrons or staff members to prevent possible safety or legal issues, ejecting unruly persons, if needed.
- Maintaining a fun, safe atmosphere for patrons.
Bar Manager Requirements:
- High School Diploma.
- Restaurant or management experience or more education is generally preferred.
- Strong understanding of business management and accounting principles.
- Excellent computer, problem-solving, and customer service skills.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to diffuse tense situations and resolve conflicts.
- Willingness to work during peak hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Effectively delegate responsibilities and maximize resources.
- Ability to walk, stand, and occasionally carry heavy items in a fast-paced, stressful environment.
Bar Manager FAQ:
What does a bar manager do?
The bar manager roles and responsibilities may vary a little between businesses, but their purpose is to hire, train, and direct staff members and ensure the bar is well-stocked and operating smoothly. The responsibilities of bar managers may also include handling some of the business and administrative tasks associated with running a bar. Be sure to highlight your specific needs in your bar manager job description.
May I change the bar manager duties section?
You can edit the bar manager job description sample to better fit the needs of your business. Change or add to the bar manager duties and responsibilities to tell applicants more about the role. Edit the bar manager definition to explain more about the qualities you’re looking for.
How do I know what to include in my bar manager job description?
The responsibilities of bar managers may differ from business to business. You may be looking for a bar general manager job description, a restaurant and bar manager job description, or a pub manager job description and each title may come with different requirements. When you post a bar manager job description, it’s best to consider the qualities you want in an employee and the duties you want him/her to perform.
Do you have interview questions for a bar manager?
We have interview questions for all our job description samples.
After you have created a bar managers job description, prepare for next step in the hiring process by reviewing our bar manager interview questions.