Film Makeup Artist Job Description Template
We are looking for a creative film makeup artist to apply makeup to the cast on a film shoot. The film makeup artist's responsibilities include liaising with the director and costume designers and creating sketches of the actors’ makeup. You should be able to calculate the time required for makeup application and inform the actors in advance.
To be successful as a film makeup artist, you should be creative, enjoy experimenting with ideas and makeup materials, and have an excellent eye for color. A top-notch film makeup artist should be able to produce a wide array of looks across genres and periods.
Film Makeup Artist Responsibilities:
- Meeting with the director, costume designer, and hairstylists for a briefing on character descriptions.
- Creating preparatory sketches of makeup for all the actors.
- Informing the production team about the makeup products and tools required.
- Calculating how long it will take to apply the makeup for each actor and informing the director and actors.
- Applying long-lasting makeup on actors and being available for touch-ups.
- Creating special effects using latex masks and prosthetics.
- Ensuring that the style of makeup for each actor is consistent throughout the filming.
- Helping actors remove the makeup and prosthetics at the end of the day.
- Storing makeup tools and products safely.
- Sterilizing makeup tools every day.
Film Makeup Artist Requirements:
- An associate’s degree or course in cosmetology obtained from a technical school or college. Many, but not all, states require this.
- A cosmetology license.
- Completion of 1000-2000 hours of cosmetology practice which takes between 1-2 years.
- Excellent knowledge of makeup products, techniques, and technologies.
- A portfolio of your work.
- Great communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good time management skills.
- Manual dexterity and attention to detail.
- Stamina to withstand long hours on your feet.